Sign in to follow this  
iline

Animated HDRI Sky Textures?

Is it possible to create animated textures to use as HDRI sky textures? I was watching Twin Peaks today where there is a long night of lightning, and I was wondering if it was possible to create a lightning storm animation in AE, in a high bit depth to increase the color range, then save this as some animated file format that C4D would recognise as HDR when making a material to use for the Sky object. This would allow you to make spaceships, crazy shit etc etc - animated backplates that generate the ambient lighting of your scene and subjects.

Can some kind soul impart some wisdom? Dankeschon...

Guest Sao_Bento
Is it possible to create animated textures to use as HDRI sky textures? I was watching Twin Peaks today where there is a long night of lightning, and I was wondering if it was possible to create a lightning storm animation in AE, in a high bit depth to increase the color range, then save this as some animated file format that C4D would recognise as HDR when making a material to use for the Sky object. This would allow you to make spaceships, crazy shit etc etc - animated backplates that generate the ambient lighting of your scene and subjects.

Can some kind soul impart some wisdom? Dankeschon...

Seems reasonable. Just for hoots, I made a 32 bit lighting sequence in AE, rendered it out to an EXR sequence, imported the image sequence into the luminance channel of a material in C4D, applied that to my sky object and hit render. It seemed to work. The part I'm not really testing in this example is true dynamic range. The Advanced Lightning plug-in does not support 32 bit color, so it's really not a 32 bit image. Theoretically, though, you should be able to make your own HDR sequence and use it as an animated GI element.

I'm sure someone with a little more experience will weigh in on this and set us straight.

The Advanced Lightning plug-in does not support 32 bit color, so it's really not a 32 bit image.

A possible workaround could be to duplicate your lightning layer and set the top layer to "add". In 32 Bit this should generate overbright values.

Sounds good - this should work then - but I didn't know the texture had to be in the luminance channel of the material, because every time I use HDR files I just drop 'em in the the color channel and the reflections pick it up - so if I want to generate GI then I'll put them in Luminance. OK, I'll get to work once the sun stops being so alluring on this lovely Sunday afternoon...