Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

I need a new leisure activity

i think many people point to acoustics because they are more forgiving up front. on an electric every little mistake is amplified to the same nominal volume, versus being able to to fluff some notes and get away with it

That's actually what I like about the electric, you have to focus more on your technique right away, so you don't get into any bad habits right from the beginning.

1. I second (or third) Photography, though it can be nice NOT making pretty pictures in your free time since that's what we're doing all day.

2. Growing up I always hated board games, until my brother in law got me hooked on one called Settlers of Catan (not nearly as dorky as it sounds). My friends scoffed at first but now they're obsessed. I'm the only one who owns the board so I usually have to schedule 2 games a week to fit everyone in. Nice inexpensive way to spend an evening with friends.

3. Go have a pint or two eleven.

Oh man! I highly recommend Settlers. I don't own the board game, but I play all the time here ( http://games.asobrain.com/ ) It's called Xplorers.

Edited by Keon

beau+++ - I looked up the wikipedia page for Settlers of Catan - looks like fun, might pick up a copy.

Good to hear. There was an article in Wired not too long ago declaring it "The Perfect German Board Game", which I'd have to agree with. My copies of Risk and Monopoly have been sitting gathering dust since I started playing this.

Word to the wise: If you DO pick up Catan, be prepared to also get the 2nd and 3rd expansions. The original is fun, but the replayability goes up ten-fold when you get all 3 sets. Also, if anyone else here is interested, there's a free online knockoff called Xplorers at http://games.asobrain.com/. It's pretty good at killing my productivity.

Oh man! I highly recommend Settlers. I don't own the board game, but I play all the time here ( http://games.asobrain.com/ ) It's called Xplorers.

Haha, nice! We both mentioned Asobrain at the same time. I think I may have played against you before Keon.

I've recently discovered that my Wacom tablet fits perfectly on my stationary bike without any special attachment, so I've been forcing myself to workout by only playing Xplorers if I'm on the bike. I'm a little ashamed to admit how much I've been cycling lately.

Haha, nice! We both mentioned Asobrain at the same time. I think I may have played against you before Keon.

I've recently discovered that my Wacom tablet fits perfectly on my stationary bike without any special attachment, so I've been forcing myself to workout by only playing Xplorers if I'm on the bike. I'm a little ashamed to admit how much I've been cycling lately.

We likely haven't played together. I use a different alias and only play non-ranked games, typically against the Friends (Have you noticed that? How weird.) We should play a game sometime, if you feel like working out that is.

@ Chris_ regarding Krav Maga - I'd be willing to bet that Krav Maga has been used in a lot more real life or death situations than JKD.

Maybe. That's hard to quantify. Guro Dan has trained Navy Seals and other special forces in the use of JKD and Kali. He also trains law enforcement.

I'd also bet that the practitioners are much more highly motivated to update any approach that isn't totally effective, since their lives depend on it, as opposed to JKD hobbyists.

Well, the core philosophy of JKD is "take what is useful and discard the rest". Meaning take what is useful to you and discard the rest. I don't know anyone who does JKD for a "hobby". I know people who use it professionally and have used it effectively to defend themselves on the street. Moreover, everyone I know is always open and very motivated to finding, learning and modifying techniques from any discipline to make themselves more effective fighters.

When you say "highly motivated" are you talking about the Israeli Army? Also, apart from the frequency of dealing with conflicts, how would their motivation be any different from a person defending themselves from say a home invasion robbery or any other kind of attack? If your life is threatened then your life is threatened. A lot of everyday non military people practice Krav Maga. The same goes for JKD. How motivated they are as practitioners really depends on the individual. I've trained at both places. If you want to make such gross generalizations that the practitioners of one system or school are any more motivated than the other to continually evolve, you'd be wrong. There's generally a lot of enthusiasm and motivation to be better at both places.

Do you practice Krav? You obviously don't practice JKD and Kali. You sound a little ruffled about my opinions on martial arts and you shouldn't. They are just opinions based on my training and observations in martial arts. You sound a little condescending too about something you aren't too familiar with. I'm not putting down any system. Krav is a good system. There are things I like about it and I continue to go to their seminars. I also like their anti-terrorism training. However, there are other techniques and approaches I find more useful TO ME in certain hand to hand or empty hand knife scenarios. In the end it is what works best for the individual to get effective results.

There are actually similarities between Krav and JKD. Krav has the 360 defense, in JKD it's called the New Moon Defense because the name comes from Cantonese; which means 360 degrees, since the "New Moon" is a full one, which is a circle, which is 360 degrees. The principles in both defense techniques are almost the same.

Some differences between the two systems in addition to the ones I've mentioned in my previous post would be that JKD generally teaches right lead (Southpaw Stance) if you are right handed, in the beginning. Later, an ambidextrous approach is emphasized. At its core, is Bruce's modified Wing Chun. So you have his modified pak sao lop sao techniques among others, which do come in handy. JKD also teaches and emphasizes the non-telgraphic punch and the non-telegraphic kick. It uses center line theory, economy of motion and the stop hit. The latter refers to stopping an attacker and hitting them at the same time. It also teaches the techniques for the one inch and three inch punches, which allow you to gain more power within a shorter distance. They work. I know, because I've done it.

"The valid point though, is that you need to learn from someone who is really real, not just the guy who rented a spot in the strip mall. The number of incompetent or downright phony martial arts instructors is gigantic."

Haha. Gee, thanks for validating me. I feel so much better now (sarcasm, fyi). -Sorry I couldn't resist. But yeah, to reiterate, it's good to do some research before signing on with anyone, just like anything else.

At least the majority of Capoeira mestre's that I know will actually fight anyone who comes to their school to challenge them, thus proving that it's not just talk.

Uh. Okay. Unless the fight is sanctioned and release forms are signed, that sounds like a recipe for a lawsuit. But hey, to each his own.

Capoeira mestre has similarities to a lot of other martial arts. In fact all martial arts have similarities because everyone is always borrowing and updating from each other. That's why it's an art.

Capoeira mestre seems to have a lot of dance moves and acrobatics in it from what I've observed.

Do you practice it or any other martial art for that matter?

I'm just curious what training and / or experience you are basing your comments on.

I would encourage Beaver to check out Francis Fong's academy and check out and observe other systems including Krav and choose what he feels is right for him if he wants to pursue martial arts.

Kids are also in the plan, but not for another five years.

Yeah. That's what we said. Oops. Oops again. Apparently neither my wife nor I can read a calendar.

Funny that a few people mentioned Settlers of Catan. We play Settlers of Canaan more, but own both games. I got my butt embarassingly kicked by my lovely wife the other night, but it was still fun. She had one of the online versions on her laptop, I forget which.

Cf

Beaver, did you say you played World of Warcraft? If not, you could do that, it's a time suck, but it always leaves you with the distinct (albeit false) sense of accomplishment.

Nothing like a 40 man raid on a Tuesday night to get your blood pumping.

:lol:

Guest Sao_Bento
I know people who use it professionally and have used it effectively to defend themselves on the street. Moreover, everyone I know is always open and very motivated to finding, learning and modifying techniques from any discipline to make themselves more effective fighters.

When you say "highly motivated" are you talking about the Israeli Army? Also, apart from the frequency of dealing with conflicts, how would their motivation be any different from a person defending themselves from say a home invasion robbery or any other kind of attack?

Do you practice Krav? You obviously don't practice JKD and Kali. You sound a little ruffled about my opinions on martial arts and you shouldn't. They are just opinions based on my training and observations in martial arts. You sound a little condescending too about something you aren't too familiar with. I'm not putting down any system. Krav is a good system. There are things I like about it and I continue to go to their seminars. I also like their anti-terrorism training. However, there are other techniques and approaches I find more useful TO ME in certain hand to hand or empty hand knife scenarios. In the end it is what works best for the individual to get effective results.

Some differences between the two systems in addition to the ones I've mentioned in my previous post would be that JKD generally teaches right lead (Southpaw Stance) if you are right handed, in the beginning. Later, an ambidextrous approach is emphasized. At its core, is Bruce's modified Wing Chun. So you have his modified pak sao lop sao techniques among others, which do come in handy. JKD also teaches and emphasizes the non-telgraphic punch and the non-telegraphic kick. It uses center line theory, economy of motion and the stop hit. The latter refers to stopping an attacker and hitting them at the same time. It also teaches the techniques for the one inch and three inch punches, which allow you to gain more power within a shorter distance. They work. I know, because I've done it.

Do you practice it or any other martial art for that matter?

I'm just curious what training and / or experience you are basing your comments on.

1. I'm not out to dis JKD or Kali, but I think there is a difference between a system that evolves across many schools, vs a system that is specifically controlled and continually modified to incorporate the most effective techniques. When you say " use it professionally" I'll assume you mean law enforcement. Like the SEALS you also mention, they usually get lots of training in a wide range of styles, yet I have never heard of a police dept. or elite branch of the military officially designating JKD or Kali as their self defense system. Contrast that to the Israeli military with Krav Maga. That was my point. I don't care about arguing about which martial arts system is better than the other, but I think it's comparing apples to oranges when you compare recreational type martial arts to something that gets used in actual combat with relatively high frequency, in comparison to most other systems. Cops probably have more day to day contact with bad guys, but I'm not sure if tazing someone then kneeling on their head qualifies as a use of JKD or Kali.

2. Yes, studied Kali at a Dan Inosanto associated place for about 3 years (20 years ago).

3. Yes, played capoeira 6 days a week, for about 5 yrs. To clarify, the sport is called "capoeira" - A capoeira mestre is someone who teaches capoeira. Capoeira is the national sport of Brazil. It has a much broader context than most other martial arts, which leads to a lot of misconceptions from people who see little slices of it. My point in bringing it up was that it provides a really wide range of things to learn, which helps you avoid getting burned out. It's just plain fun.

I would never suggest that any paramilitary organization should adopt capoeira as a fighting system. Same goes for Aikkido, Judo, TKD, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, etc. Like JKD, KM is a composite of the best of all those styles and many more. The key thing is that KM is developed by and for modern military use. No legacy ties to religons or iconic figures, just the simplest, most effective way to survive. Same could be said about most of the military fighting systems, but few are as well thought out as KM.

"I know, because I've done it."

Can we avoid talking about how tough we are on the internet? It seems bit hollow.

Good to hear. There was an article in Wired not too long ago declaring it "The Perfect German Board Game", which I'd have to agree with.

Be very careful with German board games.... this one in particular; ”Mensch ärgere dich nicht” which translates as ”Hey, don't get angry, man“ has, on 3 separate occasions, almost broken my girlfriend and I up.... although in saying that the make up sex afterwards was always fantastisch!

So play at your own risk.... or pleasure.....

Edited by nextexit

gotta toss another one in for biking. do anything outside, really. You spend so much time at a computer focusing 1.5' in front of your face, and you need to excercise your near/far focusing or you are going to have gimpy eyesight when you are old.

I'm starting to work a lot in my yard landscaping and pimping my house bit by bit as another stress reliever. this is obviously a non-urban type of leisure activity, but it is fun to do something with the hands that isn't gone forever after 300 frames.

1. I'm not out to dis JKD or Kali, but I think there is a difference between a system that evolves across many schools, vs a system that is specifically controlled and continually modified to incorporate the most effective techniques.

Fair enough. I can respect that. That's not the impression I got from your initial post.

When you say " use it professionally" I'll assume you mean law enforcement.

Yes some law enforcement friends. Some military. There's also a few people I know who are semi pro fighters and going full time professional.

Like the SEALS you also mention, they usually get lots of training in a wide range of styles, yet I have never heard of a police dept. or elite branch of the military officially designating JKD or Kali as their self defense system.

The Filippino military uses Kali in all branches. Guro Dan was in the Filippino army. He's helped train American special forces in martial arts methods that include JKD and Kali methods and continues to do so. The American military may choose not to give it all a specific label as a system the way the Israeli's do, but it's there. Francis Fong trains military too and law enforcement. For specifics you can check his web-site if you're inclined to validate that. I believe Guro Dan has also worked with the Israeli Military, or maybe those certificates of appreciation from the IDF on the walls with the Star of David on them are for something else.

Honestly, it really sounded like you were writing off people at studios other than Krav as hacks who couldn't cut in a real confrontation.

Now I like Krav, but only for their more advanced techniques. Having been to their level 1 through 4 classes, I didn't really see the effectiveness of straight punches and rear straight and side kicks with the right leg in a left lead stance against a trained adversary or even someone who is just naturally good at fighting. Not to mention, a lot of students were telegraphing the hell out of their punches and not getting any real correction from the instructors.

On the flip side, all of the techniques to get out of chokes and holds were good. I've adopted a few myself. The gun disarms in the level four class were excellent.

Contrast that to the Israeli military with Krav Maga. That was my point. I don't care about arguing about which martial arts system is better than the other, but I think it's comparing apples to oranges when you compare recreational type martial arts to something that gets used in actual combat with relatively high frequency, in comparison to most other systems.

And there's the rub. I don't consider JKD or Kali to be recreational. That just sounds dismissive. Having trained in Kali, you know one of its primary goals is limb destruction. That's not recreational. Neither are all of the countless knife and gun disarms in the Kali systems. Likewise, JKD with it's finger jabs, various take down techniques, limb destruction techniques and hits to the throat, knees and groin are not recreational. It's street fighting.

Cops probably have more day to day contact with bad guys, but I'm not sure if tazing someone then kneeling on their head qualifies as a use of JKD or Kali.

Of course not. Why would you even say that? It just sounds smart ass.

2. Yes, studied Kali at a Dan Inosanto associated place for about 3 years (20 years ago).

Well that said, I respect your opinions about martial arts. I can't say I agree with what you qualify as "recreational" or your delivery, which struck me as dismissive and flippant, but hey, to each his own. I do respect your opinion, so I hope that part doesn't fall on deaf ears.

3. Yes, played capoeira 6 days a week, for about 5 yrs. To clarify, the sport is called "capoeira" - A capoeira mestre is someone who teaches capoeira. Capoeira is the national sport of Brazil. It has a much broader context than most other martial arts, which leads to a lot of misconceptions from people who see little slices of it. My point in bringing it up was that it provides a really wide range of things to learn, which helps you avoid getting burned out. It's just plain fun.

It does look fun. It does look like it has wide range of things to learn. That's one of the things I like about all martial arts. There is such a wide range of things to learn that can not only help you defend yourself, but really help get a person in shape as well.

I would never suggest that any paramilitary organization should adopt capoeira as a fighting system. Same goes for Aikkido, Judo, TKD, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, etc.

I didn't think you were suggesting that.

Like JKD, KM is a composite of the best of all those styles and many more. The key thing is that KM is developed by and for modern military use. No legacy ties to religons or iconic figures, just the simplest, most effective way to survive. Same could be said about most of the military fighting systems, but few are as well thought out as KM.

Yeah, fair enough. I do think Krav is a good system. Parts of it I like more than others. For me that's true of just about every martial art system / style out there. I don't really care if a good system is developed by a military, like Krav is or single person with the help of a couple of others, like JKD. If it's good and works then it's good and works.

I'm not saying one system is better than the other.

I'm saying what I LIKE BETTER or what works FOR ME better. There's a difference.

As I said before, I like the JKD techniques for empty hand to hand a little more because I feel like they're even more direct than some of the Krav techniques.

I prefer the Kali techniques for empty hand defense against a knife as opposed to the knife defense techniques in Krav's 360 defense system because I feel the Kali techniques are going to be more effective against a trained fighter or a person who is attacking with very quick slashes and stabs as opposed to some sort of singular mid or high line lunge.

For getting out of chokes and holds, that I fail to intercept in a confrontation or surprise attack, I like some of the Krav techniques best. Same goes for gun disarms.

It's a PERSONAL preference.

I think it's great that you recognize the effectiveness of Krav as a well thought out system.

Likewise I think it's great that I've tried the techniques of Krav and JKD and Kali and developed an opinion as to which techniques I like best for certain situations.

They're all good, but I do have my preferences for certain types of attacks.

"I know, because I've done it."

Can we avoid talking about how tough we are on the internet? It seems bit hollow.

That's not how I meant it. When you tell people about the one inch and three inch punch techniques, there is usually a bit of disbelief, especially if they haven't practiced martial arts before.

Me saying "I know, because I've done it" was my way of trying to alleviate any possible disbelief as to whether or not the techniques really worked.

If I can do it, anyone can.

It was not to emphasize how tough I am, on the internet.

So peace, brother.

Edited by chris_

gotta toss another one in for biking. do anything outside, really. You spend so much time at a computer focusing 1.5' in front of your face, and you need to excercise your near/far focusing or you are going to have gimpy eyesight when you are old.

I'm putting a vote in for biking too. Tomorrow is the last Friday of the month... which means.... critical mass... get on your bike, join the group, block traffic, and annoy people in cars... its great

Edited by philmadelphia

Guest Sao_Bento
I'm putting a vote in for biking too. Tomorrow is the last Friday of the month... which means.... critical mass... get on your bike, join the group, block traffic, and annoy people in cars... its great

Darwin would clearly want us to run them over. Riding bikes is cool, Critical Mass is the opposite of critical thinking.

@ _Chris, maybe when you've finished your course in “limb destruction” you could take a concise writing course... the length of your posts and the waffle contained therein makes my eyes bleed.

Darwin would clearly want us to run them over. Riding bikes is cool, Critical Mass is the opposite of critical thinking.

I don't think it's critical thinking to drive everywhere either. Considering how much cars are responsible for pollution.

Guest Sao_Bento
I don't think it's critical thinking to drive everywhere either. Considering how much cars are responsible for pollution.

Critical Mass unfairly punishes the economically disadvantaged. What is gained by inconveniencing the people who don't have any choice but to commute from Bakersfield or some other god-awful place because they can't afford to live in the big city where they work? All it does is is create ill will towards the cyclists who try to force their singular world view down everyone else's throats. In turn, the people they need to make change view them as out-of-touch elitist hipsters. I'm on board with conservation and all, but I think there needs to be a pragmatic approach rather than a crybaby one. Who has less power to change the way the world works than people working minimum wage jobs? How does alienating them help? Obviously, not everyone inconvenienced by CM is a min wage migrant worker, but the rich folks, who probably do have the power to influence things aren't going to have nearly as much trouble getting back to their condos on Rincon Hill.

Critical Mass is definitely obnoxious to drivers, but I think your anger would be better directed at budget cuts from public transportation and other alternative means of transportation to cars. Cars are expensive to maintain and to fuel, they're not exactly great for people without much money. It wouldn't matter if you lived in a city or not if you had an efficient and reliable mass transport system to get you to work.

Guest Sao_Bento
Critical Mass is definitely obnoxious to drivers, but I think your anger would be better directed at budget cuts from public transportation and other alternative means of transportation to cars. Cars are expensive to maintain and to fuel, they're not exactly great for people without much money. It wouldn't matter if you lived in a city or not if you had an efficient and reliable mass transport system to get you to work.

I think you're right, except that it is the CM'ers who should direct their energy towards those things, since they are the ones who cannot find a constructive outlet for their frustrations.