Sign in to follow this  
Nacho

Exporting tracking data from After Effects to Flash

Hi everyone

I'm trying to create a movie clip to be used in an online application similar to ElfYourself.

I've done this before with one character using this method:

• rendered a 3d animation of the character.
  • tracked the face in After Effects and applied the tracking to a null object
  • selected all the null's keyframes and used the "Convert Selected Properties to Markers.jsx" script
  • exported the movie in FLV

The programmer used the tracking data without any problem in Action Script.

This time, there's a problem: there are three characters!

• I've done the tracking for the three faces
  • I've applied each tracking it to three different nulls
  • I've used the script and exported in FLV but...

...only one tracking is recognized when the programmer opens the FLV in Flash.

I think that maybe, the data contained in the markers:

Transform_Rotation

Transform_Position

Transform_Scale

is overwritten in some way and the data contained in the FLV only stores the data of the last null.

I mean, the "Convert Selected Properties to Markers.jsx" script makes layer markers for every frame in each null. So, in null1 there are let's say 100 markers and every one of them contains values for Transform_Rotation, Transform_Position and Transform_Scale. But null2 also has values for those parameters under the same name... and so does null3. So I think, at some point during FLV export those parameters are considered the same, because there is not a variable called Transform_Rotation1, Transform_Rotation2 and Transform_Rotation3. All are called the same

My question is: is there a way of changing the attribute names of the three nulls so that the attributes don't have the same name and could be exported in the FLV movie?

Or maybe there is a command to rename the attributes in those markers?

Anyone knows another way of doing this?

Thanks for reading!

(I know I'm explaining it REALLY bad... but don't know how to explain it better)

Howdy,

I had this issue before when I tried to export corner-pinning data to flash. I can't remember exactly what I did (helpful, huh?) but basically:

The issue is that you need the layer with the markers in it to contain ALL the information for all 3 of your characters, you can't have 3 separate layers with information on all 3. I think you need to create a null object, use the expression effects (point control, angle control) to transfer the transform information from your 3 layers onto that 1 null. Make sense? You may need to use 2 slider expression controls to represent the X-scale and Y-scale (or maybe a point control would work for that.)

When you run the script on that layer, all of that information will be put into the markers. (When you double click a marker, it only shows you 3 parameters, but there are actually more of them in the marker.)

This should get the info into Flash. I'm not sure if this will work, as my test only had 4 sets of values I needed to get into Flash, and yours will have at least 9. In theory though, that's how I did it.

There's also this plug-in which might be easier, though I couldn't make it work right.

http://blog.drwoohoo.com/?p=259

joey

thanks a lot Joey

I really appreciate it.

I'm going to try it.

By the way, this info:

When you run the script on that layer, all of that information will be put into the markers. (When you double click a marker, it only shows you 3 parameters, but there are actually more of them in the marker.)

is priceless! thanks again.