Sign in to follow this  
antoinelee.tv

Has anyone read The After Effects Illusionist?

I checked this book out at the library a month or two after it was released. The whole thing is that it demonstrates how each filter can be used in common modern vfx/mograph practice. The author combines a lot of filters to make interesting effects and basically teaches concepts as hes walking you through his workflow. Some effects are cheesier than others but its definitely worth flipping through. Its kind of amusing seeing what he finds to be trendy these days.

Just occured to me... Not necessarily ecological sane. The time you spend reading on a computer may considerably increase your baddie footprint (energy consumption, manufacturing cost, pollution), so in fact you may kill more trees that way. And then again - where's the sensuality in reading on screen or one of those super-ugly eBook readers?

Mylenium

But you follow along the book on the computer anyways, negating the chance of energy consumption, blahhhhh. (I like books also)

And the other three would be?

The Meyer's "Creating Motion Graphics", part 1 and 2 and Stu Maschwitz "DV Rebel Guide". The rest of books on the market simply don't add anything that you couldn't learn from all the 4 combined, though "The Art and Science of Digital Compositing" may be considered a generic primer, just not too specific for AE. Marcus Geduld's expression book may also be of use in some way, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say anything about it.

Mylenium

The Meyer's "Creating Motion Graphics", part 1 and 2 and Stu Maschwitz "DV Rebel Guide". The rest of books on the market simply don't add anything that you couldn't learn from all the 4 combined, though "The Art and Science of Digital Compositing" may be considered a generic primer, just not too specific for AE. Marcus Geduld's expression book may also be of use in some way, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say anything about it.

Mylenium

I agree with Mylenium's top four, as long as we're not talking about beginners.

For beginners, I'd throw in the Meyers' _After Effects Apprentice_ and the _After Effects CS4 Classroom in a Book_ (in that order, even though I worked on the latter).

The Geduld expressions book is OK, but I'd sooner send someone to Dan Ebberts's website. There are some good examples in the book, though. I link to them here.

I'll add my vote for the Meyers' books as well as Studio Techniques. Haven't gotten around to DV Rebel but if Stu's blog and chapter from Studio Techniques' are any indication, I'm sure it's great.

Mylenium

Reading DV Rebel now--loving it. Its not AE-centric however. Moreso deals with filmmaking process as a whole but does have some valuable info regarding compositing, and the DVD includes some AE goodies.