Sign in to follow this  
MattJ

Reel Feedback please

Just hoping for some feedback on this reel before I send it out. It's a rough cut and still I still have to add some Nissan/Infiniti work. Tips on what to keep in/take out etc would be much appreciated.

I don't know if I'm thrilled with the music selection and some of the work but oh wellllll.

http://mattj.ca/videos/reel.mov

Cheers

Hey there,

I'm tryin to get a fix on it without knowing anything about you, but I'll take a stab at it. It'd be best to know what your role in all of this stuff is so we know what we're looking at though: animator, designer, composites, all of the above?

For the most part, the work looks really nice. It's a little inconsistent, as you've implied, but no one has a wall full of pure gold. The key to dealing with that is how you put it all together to make this new thing, your montage. And that's where you've got me a little confused. The song you're working with is playful, with a significant beat and plenty of details sprinkled throughout, but your edits don't play at all with the track. Put some joy into them! Right now you're kind of cutting as if the song didn't even matter. You're also creating a repeating pattern of: cut to new project, watch project play out, watch project resolve, watch project sit on some endframe (boring), cut to new project and repeat. You're sort of putting the montage to sleep every time you do that, so the pattern becomes stop-start and you don't maintain any energy. The music wants to keep bouncing, but you're killing the movement. So think about the music as a dance partner, if that helps. When the song does something, maybe the edit does something in response, or vice versa. It's like the difference between a club full of people kind of dancing cuz there's music on and a mob going insane as a dj evolves a beat.

It will definitely help if you can focus on creating a montage, as opposed to focusing on accurately representing your work samples. Forget that they were even projects to begin with and that you spent days and days on each one. They're raw ingredients now, and you're going to make something entirely new out of them, and it's that thing that will matter in the end. Take your decent ingredients and whip up something outstanding!

Also, as a side note, your title card looks nice, but beware the siren's call of aging design trends. The geometric block type and abstract 80s reference thing is still kinda cool but it's gonna look real old in a year. I'm definitely not crapping on it, but take note that the hipster style of yesterday is "meh" today and will be "ugh" tomorrow.

Thanks. As it stands right now the clips are just slapped in the timeline and I haven't put any effort in to cutting it properly. Right now I'm more concerned with the pieces, the edits getting fixed. I definitely agree that landing on an endframe is really boring. Unfortunately given the nature of some of the pieces it's what I have to work with for now.

To clear things up everything was done by myself except for some of the design work and a couple of the 3d elements. I handled all the animation and the majority of the 3d and design.

As for the titles, I couldn't imagine making anything to be timeless. Chances are this thing willl be around for no longer than 6 months.

Thanks again.

Edited by MattJ