Sign in to follow this  
f.o.f.a.

Animation compression 5 minutes > 12 gig?

Hi people!

I'm working on a animation which has a length of 5 minutes. It's all build out of several PSD-files. Now my client asked me to render the movie out with a animation-compression. After 4 hours (!) rendering the file is 12 gig big. Is this normal?

Because I taught animation was like 1 gig for each minute?

And if this is right, how do I compress it? Because the archive/compress function inside Finder is not doing anything at all.

Thanks for the replies :)

Greets,

Stephan

How big is the comp and how big are the PSD files? If you use huge images and then scale them down to fit inside AE, AE still has to work to size down the images when rendering. Basically what I'm saying is using images that are comp size or slightly bigger render faster and result in a smaller file size than using huge images.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

I see what you are saying although, the AE comps are 1024x576 and the PSD are not bigger then 1500x800 pixels and in a range of 0-5 mb for each PSD-file. Not really that big right?

I've exported the 12 gig quicktime with Quicktime now. Again with the same settings. Now it made 2.2 gig Quicktime of the 12 gig one. Is that weird? Did I just compressed the quicktime time twice with a animation-compression? Once from AE and then agian once from Quicktime?

Thanks!

Animation compressor uses non-lossy LZW (TIFF style) compression. It also has the option to use interframe compression (i.e. updating only those parts of the frame that change, saving a lot of space on fairly static animations). It doesn't have a standard data rate, as complex, fast moving stuff compresses less efficiently. If you save to Animation codec directly out of the AE renderer, interframe compression tends not to work, so you don't get the extra compression which you would get by re-exporting from QT pro or compressor. This can make a big difference.

Guest Sao_Bento

Yes, Animation at 100% will produce huge files. For a visually uncompressed alternative with dramatically smaller file sizes and alpha channel support, use the PNG compressor within QuickTime.