Sign in to follow this  
ptacnik

New reel and site (ptacnik.com)

http://www.ptacnik.com

*now available for freelance* ;)

a mixture of some of my older school projects, along with a few of the GFX Ive been doing for movie trailers and video game trailers since I moved to LA last year.

Comments and critiques are always welcome and appreciated.

thanks

derek ptacnik

Edited by ptacnik

Fantastic work dude! You have a nice variety, and the style/design of it all feels pretty original.

The only critique I have is the Rough shot. The motion blur doesn't match the footage, and it feels like a loose track. My first thought was, 'oh, that's a school project'. I'd recommend removing it all together, or at least place it closer to the end to showcase your more solid work in the beginning.

Keep it up!

I think you could cut 15-20 seconds out of it. I would lose both tracking shots, the two white squares(?), that 24 promo, and maybe one of the dvd cover slates. Would also suggest that if you are going to have multiple shots of one spot or multiple shots of the same thing(dvd cover slates) that you sprinkle them throughout opposed to putting them back to back or separating them with one shot- would just give it a little more variety.

thanks for the comments

@palmer 'both' tracking shots? I have a few throughout the reel. Are you talking about the first and last? (Deadliest Catch 'rough' & Iron Man)

The two white squares are for nintendo DS, and I agree was up for far too long.

Thanks for help! :)

Comin up!

You're kind of in that weird transitional phase where you've got some rad new work, but it doesn't quite fill a reel. That's a tough spot, and somehow you have to provide filler without letting it bring down the awesome stuff. You've done that to a certain degree, but as has been said you probably need to avoid some of the shots. As an example, your G4/TechTV spec thing leaves a bit of a sour taste near the end. That should probably go. But you have to find something to replace it, and there's the trick. So honestly this is the point in the game where you just have to play through the exhaustion for a while to get the reel up to the speed of your better stuff. Then you get traded up into the next league.

Also, I've always wondered how you make those nice photoreal metal textures like in your x-men boards. I'm a total c4d ignoramus and I totally want to be able to use that kind of stuff. Give me your wisdom! :D

I'm a total c4d ignoramus and I totally want to be able to use that kind of stuff. Give me your wisdom!

I'm the asshole in class raising his hand with all his might.

Ptacniks boards look really great and his methods may differ.

You can tell me to fuck off or totally trash my technique man...

[hijack] Take a nice size texture such as:

http://www.aztexture...wallpapers.html

Make a photoshop file maybe 4x the size of the image. Make a seamless texture. Save out.

Make a bump map. Save out.

Quick search... looks like this has the essential info:

http://tutorials.tex..._quickbump.html

Crack open your your 3d app. I'll use C4D as my example but this basically, in terms of what goes where, translates to max/maya/etc.

This requires a lot of tweaking- not a be-all-end-all solution. Lighting also plays a huge role.

Create a new material and in the material browser:

Use your seamless texture in the color channel. Under texture in the reflection channel -create a layer.

In that layer create a fresnal layer. On top of that create a layer using the bump map you created - set to multiply.

(don't reflect when viewing head-on or where indentations/blemishes occur)

Go back to the top level of reflection and turn blurriness up to 10% (this setting requires a lot of tweaking and really influences rendertimes)

In the bump map slot- insert your created bump map.

(don't be flat)

Crank up, within reason, the height/width in the specular channel.

Under specular color insert the bump map.

(don't be shiny where indentations/blemishes occur)

Obviously there is a lot to explain here, which I've neglected to do for times sake, but this will get you going and tell you what goes where.

[/hijack]

Edited by palmer

@binky thanks man. PALMER has the right idea for the basic build in c4d. Although I tend to add images in the environment and reflective maps (or build a sphere like i would in maya) Usually play with the blur offset. A 'Noise' works too, but I think it tends to look a little too even.

@Tentz thanks. Yeah was full time for over a year and half

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Awesome reel!!! love the textures! Those exploding and recombining logo effects are dope.

How are those done? Do you use Maya or C4d? modifiers? keyframes? xpresso?

Keep it up.

Thanks man. I used C4d for that. 90 % of it is just hand animating pieces.... cutting pieces off that I wanted to move, made sure they were in the proper hierarchy, filled holes (which is an absolute PAIN in C4d compared to maya, literally had to draw because the fill wouldn't work properly) and animated away. The part that branches forward is similar but I also used Mograph to clone the same object and an explosion modifier to make the pieces move a bit more fluid. Eventually I want to get a screen-grab of the timeline because it was insane lol Had tons of fun making it though, just sat there for about 5 days cutting, organizing, animating, and repeat. 6th day I destroyed the NetRender Farm and did the final comp. lol