Sign in to follow this  
Bakahatsu

...Another reel

Hello all

So this is my second show reel after two years working as a designer, finally biting the bullet and looking for a crit. Don't feel like I can dish it out before I get dished myself.

I work in house for a production company (where all of the work on the reel comes from) and am wondering where the strengths are in my work, or where it needs a kick up the arse. So rip into it by all means... (and from reading many a post here, I wont be offended)

Also I'm wondering about the reel as a whole. What works? What doesn't work?

Direct link

Cheers all

Stephen

I really like it. I do think the intro is WAY to long though for my taste.

Thanks for the feedback Schumway, much appreciated.

Yeah you're right about the intro, snowballed a little and got into wanky territory! Gonna have to rejig that one.

Anyone else got any comments?

S

PS: Checked out yr website Schumway, some really cool stuff in there.

Edited by Bakahatsu

First, you reel is taking too long to load. check the this article for a good export for web practice.

Next, you intro feels too long. Although its really great looking, it takes up almost half the time of the reel. I think you can speed it up and trim it up and still maintain its good looks.

Next, your music choice is lacking. The music feels too fast for the ques you have edited, and the voice saying the same thing over and over is tiresome. Consider maybe find music with a slower pace, and editing your reel from piece to piece to cues in the music, ie bass, etc.

All in all, the reel exhibits some nice work, but like everything reels have their own language. Don't worry if you don't have enough work to fill up a minute or two, just make sure you showing what you can do. A lot of employers probably wouldn't know the difference between a good reel and a bad reel, but that what mograph is for...

Good work.

I usually watch reels with the sound off, so no comment on that. The editing works fine without sound.

The intro is definitely too long. It dominates your reel and emphasizes what a small selection of work you've chosen to show. Cut the intro down and throw in a few more clips--if need be, re-use some of the spots and try to find diverse shots.

Your work is solid. I'd drop the bingo spot, as it's not up to par with the rest. Good stuff.

Killer reel. I love the personality. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll remember any of your work vs. the editing of it. But I love the intentionality of making something really simple complex (the intro), thereby making something complex simple.

I dont mind long intros as long as they look good.. Thats the point, right? We're not trying to sell ourselves as editors. It could be shorter but it doesn't have to be. The reel also loaded instantly for me so I wouldn't sweat the compression issue. Great work anyways. Get that bio up ;)

I dont mind long intros as long as they look good.. Thats the point, right? We're not trying to sell ourselves as editors. It could be shorter but it doesn't have to be.

Can I take this one step farther and add something? Ok, I will. :D

An intro should probably look good, cuz that's a good selling point. What yours is doing in addition to looking good is unfolding a simple narrative. eg) machine thing transforms into your name, implying some stuff about hidden complexities and your work in the process. But I think why the intro feels long is because your narrative isn't really unfolding at the right pace. And that's to say that you have a bunch of shots that tell us basically the same thing over and over. It's not a very complicated idea, so we kind of get it pretty quick. So if you want to keep showing us this transformation, you need to introduce a few more ideas at some point so we're finding out new stuff along the way. Maybe you imply something about why the machine is there, or that there's something going wrong, or you introduce some other element that changes what we thought was going on, etc.

Good point Binky... I agree with you.

I think you have a lot solid stuff in your reel, but I would say to get out the fillers like the bingo stuff.

I don't like how the music finish, but I think the reel in general look nice taking the points people said here.

Having the first half of the reel as an intro doesn't really sit well with me. Could you not splice some of 'intro' throughout the whole reel and have it all resolve at the end? That might wrap it up into a nice little package.

Wow... thanks a lot for all the pointers and comments. Very, very helpful.

Re compression: yeah not sure about that- by and large it seems to load reasonably fast, but I've had a few people say it hangs when it loads so will look into that.

I think the consensus is that the intro feels too long in terms of narrative and could be tightened up. Binky, I think you hit the nail on the head there and it would make it more of a rounded & independent piece- the idea of developing it a bit more and giving it another twist is pretty cool as is the idea of splicing it throughout, palmer. Will probably give that a shot when I seek out a some new music to edit to. Mjoshua- yeah thanks, that was what I was going for, but I think I maybe milked the concept a little too much!

Yeah I think with the reel itself I do feel like I have a limited selection of work I feel comfortable putting in and the bingo thing was a bad call probably, guera/leahzero. It's good to know though, it's probably the shot I wince at the most so it confirms my suspicions!

Philmadelphia: Other people I've showed it to have commented on the repetitive nature of the music and by the end of cutting it, it was doing my head in a bit too. Will probably try a couple more tracks over the next few days and see if I can take the pointers above and make it work better.

Silatix: gonna get that bio up as soon as I find that elusive suave picture of myself that says "I'm a designer"

Thanks again all, it's been invaluable to get your perspectives on it.

S

to build on what others mentioned about your intro-- on the most part it's pretty nice. but the narrative is just sprayed all over instead of taking the shape of an arc. i would recommend you don't repeat or cut back to previous angles. maybe try to use dichotomy in the camera work to make the unveiling of all the pipework stuff more of a major "event" in the story. use the audio to give it all more narrative progression (it's extremely repetitious currently).

for two years out of the gate, your reel's pretty strong. the only general flaws in your work i see are that the color palettes are a little underdeveloped or could be more sophisticated (though this applies to 98% of all mographers) and there seems to be a lack of showcase of typographic skills. if you're looking to muscle up your next reel, maybe try to incorporate some custom typography in some future projects. but overall, it's pretty solid for someone doing this for two years. hope this somehow helps.

maybe try to use dichotomy in the camera work to make the unveiling of all the pipework stuff more of a major "event" in the story.

I'll admit to being clueless here... what does that mean?

I'll admit to being clueless here... what does that mean?

things are one way, then suddenly they become different, and the controlled contrast between the two makes the difference between the two seem more extreme than it actually is. a cliché example would be a cool-tinted dark landscape, then a warm beaming sun rises over the horizon. it makes the sunrise seem like a bigger deal than it is (i mean srsly guise those totes happen like evry day).

ie. shots that feature graceful camera movement that only move on a single axis and do not pan/tilt. then when those pipey thingees blast out towards the word "compression", the camera moves on multiple axes while also panning/tilting. or a more basic approach is to start with high or mid-height camera positions, then cut to a low angle when that pipey flurry thing happens.

basically, formal dichotomy is what michael bay's films completely lack. you could say it is this lack that defines his style.