Sign in to follow this  
ikep2008

864x486 Widescreen Sq Pixel from AE to FCP without distortion

I know there was a similar post on doing 4/3 into 16/9 a while back, but I have a more specific question. My recent stuff has been 864x486 Widescreen Square Pixel coming out of After Effects. I am editing my new reel in FCP and want to keep this nice wide aspect ratio since its for the web only. What would be the best sequence settings without distortion or extreme cropping? I have tried just about everything and even if it looks right in FCP its all squished in the quicktime export. Ive tried toggling the anamorphic 16/9 button but it's still squished horizontally. Any ideas? Thanks.

when you export out of fcp either export at 864x486/720x405/640x360 thats the only way to maintain the aspect ratio. If you click the anamorphic checkbox on 720x486 all its going to do is squeeze the pixels so it can be stretched back out later.

what're you using to compress it? what're your export settings?

generally sequence settings are secondary and only give you something to look at

I know there was a similar post on doing 4/3 into 16/9 a while back, but I have a more specific question. My recent stuff has been 864x486 Widescreen Square Pixel coming out of After Effects. I am editing my new reel in FCP and want to keep this nice wide aspect ratio since its for the web only. What would be the best sequence settings without distortion or extreme cropping? I have tried just about everything and even if it looks right in FCP its all squished in the quicktime export. Ive tried toggling the anamorphic 16/9 button but it's still squished horizontally. Any ideas? Thanks.

Open the movie in Quicktime pro and hit command J. Click on the video track and then select the Visual Settings tab. Uncheck the preservev aspect ration button and change your scaled size to 864x486. Then save it.

Edited by hensleyb

Your best bet is to change it to a format that FCP can edit with in realtime -- i.e. re-export all the material as 720x486, applying the squeeze in AE. Then FCP will recognize the pixel aspect correctly

However, barring that, drop all your footage in to an FCP Bin, and then scroll over to the column where it shows the pixel aspect ratio. Select all the clips, right-click on one of the values in that column and choose "Square Pixel". They should all change to "Square Pixel"; but only if you did it by right-clicking in the correct column and getting a pop-up menu.

Now you can drop them in to a 720x486 anamorphic sequence and FCP should apply the correct scale/distortion parameters so they look correct.

Edited by Lu Nelson

If all of your stuff from AE is 864x486, you could just make the same resolution sequence in Final Cut with square pixels. Not really necessary to work in anamorphic pixels in this case.