Sign in to follow this  
Nesta

Workstation for motion design

Hi everybody !

I'd like to buy a new workstation for Motion Graphics freelance work (using After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator & 3D package).

Do you have any suggestions for a powerfull hardware (including screen) ?

What about hard drive (Raid-0, Raid-1 or not usefull) ?

What's your workstation ?

Thanks

if you're using after effects, get yourself a motherboard with ddr3 support, it'll cost you a tonne more, but you'll have faster ram previews :D

I know there's a lot of threads on this subject but I can't find a workstation with the last hardware.

It's often old (few month) topics without the new hardware & the new technologies.

And this topics is also to know what's is your hardware ?

wich machine do you use to work with After Effects & 3D package ?

are you satisfied with your hardware

Which platform do you work on?

What 3d package do you use?

Do you have a budget?

Is putting together your own computer something you're considering?

Just to give you an idea, i put together a Windows XP 64 machine around an intel quad core q6600, overclocked to 3.2ghz with 8 gigs of ram, a nvidia 8800 gt vid card and other stuff for about $1200 about over a year ago, and it's still running great. Meets all my AE and 3D needs, and I can pwn sum n00bz in CoD4 too.

As for a monitor, this is a touchy subject, people swear by Apple Cinema Displays but I find there are equivelants or even better monitors out there for cheaper. They might not look as cool, but the hell with that, function over fashion. I do wish however people would learn how to design there shit a little better...

I work on PC with Windows.

I use After Effects, Cinema 4D, Softimage XSi, Photoshop.

I'd like to spend 1500€ (2100$) with 1 or 2 monitor(s) (Samsung or DELL).

Oeuf> Does your machine use the 8 GB of RAM ? I've seen that Windows (even the 64 version) can't use more than 4 GB.

I work on PC with Windows.

I use After Effects, Cinema 4D, Softimage XSi, Photoshop.

I'd like to spend 1500€ (2100$) with 1 or 2 monitor(s) (Samsung or DELL).

Oeuf> Does your machine use the 8 GB of RAM ? I've seen that Windows (even the 64 version) can't use more than 4 GB.

That's just AE, they'll get it right someday.

Guest Sao_Bento
As for a monitor, this is a touchy subject, people swear by Apple Cinema Displays but I find there are equivelants or even better monitors out there for cheaper. They might not look as cool, but the hell with that, function over fashion. I do wish however people would learn how to design there shit a little better...

The touchy part is that people don't want to hear "you get what you pay for". The mythology of the "desktop video rebel" says that a DIY computer with a cheap monitor is equal to a $12K system. Too bad it's not true. Even Apple displays are sub-par for "color critical" work. Look at the prices of Eizo or eCinema monitors, that'll give you a better idea where the true high-end starts.

The touchy part is that people don't want to hear "you get what you pay for". The mythology of the "desktop video rebel" says that a DIY computer with a cheap monitor is equal to a $12K system. Too bad it's not true. Even Apple displays are sub-par for "color critical" work. Look at the prices of Eizo or eCinema monitors, that'll give you a better idea where the true high-end starts.

I guess I should have been a little more specific in my response. you're right, you get what you pay for, but a similarly spec'd machine built from scratch, would always come out cheaper than it's mac pro counterpart(but this thread isn't about that so i digress). My quad core and cheap monitor is by no means equal to a $12k system (and i didn't think i was asserting so), but it gets the job done. And as far as monitors go, again you're right, most places i've worked at have cheapo monitors, but i leave it up to them to color correct/q.c. on a calibrated monitor before the piece goes out. I agree, Cinema Displays are sub par and in my opinion, if you were thinking of going that route, you'd be better off going with a Samsung or a Dell.

Guest Sao_Bento
How are Cinema Displays sub-par in comparison to Dells, when they use the same panels?

It's been covered before, but if you know anything about electronics manufacturing, you would understand that it means nothing that they use the same technology or are made in the same city-factory. Price per part is directly related to the parts you are willing to accept. Accepting lower quality translates to lower cost at retail (Dell).

I've just taken delivery of a new Mac Pro. I don't think dell are that cheap, I just speced up a dell to the same spec as my mac pro and it came out more expensive! I used to build my own PC's when I was younger and into gaming but now I just want something that works well and if it breaks i can just take it back (I have an apple store close to my house). Dell are the cheapest ready made PC's as far as I'm aware but when they come out more expensive than a MP then its a no brainer for me.

Guest Sao_Bento
I've just taken delivery of a new Mac Pro. I don't think dell are that cheap, I just speced up a dell to the same spec as my mac pro and it came out more expensive! I used to build my own PC's when I was younger and into gaming but now I just want something that works well and if it breaks i can just take it back (I have an apple store close to my house). Dell are the cheapest ready made PC's as far as I'm aware but when they come out more expensive than a MP then its a no brainer for me.

Totally true, if you look at quality manufacturers like BoxxTech, their systems are equal to or more expensive than MacPros because they are using top quality parts. The question is where the balance lies for you. Everyone doesn't need a Ferrari. Some people can't afford a Ferrari even if they do want one. With PC companies, you have a range of choices for where you want to be on the quality/dependability vs. cost spectrum. With Apple, you don't have a choice, because there is only one hardware manufacturer.