Sign in to follow this  
mankeroo

720p/59.9 is this interlace or prog?

Heyas,

Dumb question here, but I'm starting production on a project that needs to deliver 720p/59.9fps and I've read conflicting information about whether or not this is actually 60 frames/sec of progressive frames or 29.97 interlaced? I'm not sure which to go with, and I figured you guys might have some insight.

thanks

I should also add - whats the best way to work if we like the look of 30fps better than that silky smooth/video look of 60p? Would working and rendering at 29.97 then taking that final QT and frame doubling it to 59.94 be terrible or analogous to the look of 30fps animations?

60, or 59.94 is gonna be interlaced. But I would not work interlaced.

I just a 1280x720 59.94 job. We did everything at 24p, and added pull-up to 59.94 for delivery.

No, 720p 59.94 is 60 full progressive frames. 720 is always progressive, it does not support any 60i type format. You can just work at 30p and then double frames to 60p.

I thought you could have 720 60 or 59.94 P... I have presets for this anyway on my capture card.

I am working on a project now that has to be delivered in many different formats e.g. all different flavors of 720 as well as SD versions etc. My plan was to have my main proj at 720 30P and make all my versions based on that. Curious to hear if people think this is a good way to work or if there is a smarter way to go about this (footage was shot 1080 i60 if this makes a difference but only delivering 720).

No, 720p 59.94 is 60 full progressive frames. 720 is always progressive, it does not support any 60i type format. You can just work at 30p and then double frames to 60p.

my mistake.

just a quick tip, if it has a a "p" after the frame rate its progressive, no matter what. If it has "i" its interlaced, and thus the frame rate is actually referring to the number of fields per second (1080i 59.94 plays at 29.97 frames per second because a field is 1/2 of a frame), and "psf" after your frame is partially segmented frames, which is another way to deal with progressive material that uses less bandwidth.