Sign in to follow this  
parallax

Are you kidding me?

My dear American friends. What the hell is going on over there?

The

Madness

Already.

Seriously.

What the hell, dudes. I've never seen this level of irrational tinfoil bs in a developed nation in my 30 years on this planet. What's wrong with these people? Do they want a civil war?

How can you be brainwashed like this? How stupid must you be, to blame everything currently going badly on an administration that hasn't even been in power for more then a year?

Please, lock those crazies up. I don't want it to spill over to Europe.

Thank you.

Its all the religion over here, it has infected their brains with nonsense.

If you believe in fairy tales it's not much of a leap to believe that Obama wants to sneak into your house at night and kill your grandma.

Edited by faustfire

Please, lock those crazies up. I don't want it to spill over to Europe.

There's an ocean. I think you're safe.

But seriously folks,

Please please please do not take Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck as representatives of America.

They are radio and tv personalities who have made careers via their vocal stances on issues. The louder they yell, and the more terrifying the situation seems, the better ratings they get.

I can't speak for the people freaking out over all the healthcare stuff. I know the economy has not been good, and the idea of sweeping change in the healthcare system deserves real thought and debate. My fear is that what I see happening is that the two far sides of the issue have taken up all the brain-space of the nation. (i.e. people yelling and freaking out at town-hall meetings on the one hand, and people (even the President) hammering home their talking points and demanding that legislation be pushed through on the other hand).

Moderate views make for crappy news stories. So no one reports them. Nothing really new there.

There's that magic Latin phrase nagging me again. Cui bono. Start with these guys, who solicit money from the insurance companies and through the magical mechanisms of douchebaggery, convert it into outrage.

When people are stupid enough to carry signs saying 'Guvmint out of my Medicare,' you'd think they'd slink away in shame and decline to vote. Sadly, shame is a thing of the past. They have small numbers, but no matter. They know that small numbers combined with outsized fury will drive the media narrative, and it has. They saw it during Vietnam (they're that old), and they're more than happy to turn it around on the 'hippies' they hate.

20090812-erw279adnts3i1er7d6ysd7hy3.preview.jpg

Of course we have crazies, but this is beyond i've ever seen. Also, obviously this is not representative of the whole of the US, they just know how to leverage their craziness really well, and that's hella scary.

and Faust please...you're comment was beyond retarded.

Offensive, maybe.... If your one of those crazy rednecks that we have been seeing at these "town hall meetings" all over the news lately.

But I am going to have to side with Faustfire on that. It's insane to see how religion is used to sell shit ideas and plans to the public. Its even more mind boggling to watch fellow Americans eating these lies up without question.

It's absolutely scary.

Offensive, maybe.... If your one of those crazy rednecks that we have been seeing at these "town hall meetings" all over the news lately.

But I am going to have to side with Faustfire on that. It's insane to see how religion is used to sell shit ideas and plans to the public. Its even more mind boggling to watch fellow Americans eating these lies up without question.

It's absolutely scary.

It's not religion that is the problem but rather religious extremism or any extremism for that matter. The failure to separate the two and rationally separate the facts from imagination is the problem. Throwing out blanket statements directed towards either side of the argument is what creates the problem. The inability to apply any intelligence and failure to maintain a level head in the situation only exacerbates the problem. I can't stand Glen Beck any more then the next guy, but failure to bring reason to there irrational arguments instead of just shout off an opposing view, only furthers the problem.

Well said Rusty.

Man this conversation could open a serious bag of beans. I am so sick and tired of everyone who has a different opinion calling the other side stupid and ignorant. You push people enough and they will pipe up and say something. You keep telling people how stupid and "redneck" they are you are kinda asking for it. People feel they are being lied to and are fed up with all the bs from both sides and calling them stupid is not going to help anything. Your just going to fuel the fire by doing that. I mean imagine being called stupid everyday when you were in school. Your going to finally snap and do something irrational. People keep pushing and its not going to be pretty.

That being said... You wanna fix a problem stop calling religious (christian) people the problem and stop bashing on peoples intelligence.

Here's the thing: people are basically retarded. People are also driven by self-interest. So you've got a bunch of retarded people driven by self-interest and a bunch of other retarded people driven by self-interest telling all the retards that this or that is not or is in their best self-interest. Since people are retarded they eat it up and react like retards whose self-interest is threatened. If you can pick out really simple and retarded things to make your point (the simpler the better, like say, race) then you'll really get the attentions of the retards. Once you get a group of retards attention it's really easy to rile them up and retarded chaos ensues. And even those of us who aren't completely retarded but still sorta retarded and easily amused get to watch the riled retards on tv with a stupified grin on our faces.

Well said Rusty.

Man this conversation could open a serious bag of beans. I am so sick and tired of everyone who has a different opinion calling the other side stupid and ignorant. You push people enough and they will pipe up and say something. You keep telling people how stupid and "redneck" they are you are kinda asking for it. People feel they are being lied to and are fed up with all the bs from both sides and calling them stupid is not going to help anything. Your just going to fuel the fire by doing that. I mean imagine being called stupid everyday when you were in school. Your going to finally snap and do something irrational. People keep pushing and its not going to be pretty.

That being said... You wanna fix a problem stop calling religious (christian) people the problem and stop bashing on peoples intelligence.

Sorry, but I stand by my comment.

The current situation has gone beyond a case of differing opinions. The birthers and the groups promoting the death committee fallacies are just plain stupid human beings. There is ignorance and there is stupidity...this is stupidity.

And I have no specific problem with Christians, I have a negative opinion of all religions, be it Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, or Pagan.

I stand by mine as well.

Of course this is a topic everyone has to agree to disagree upon.

For the record, I never said or intended to come across as saying god fearing individuals are stupid.

People using religion to fuel their bullshit lies in order to sell their agendas are evil.

People accepting and believing the crap that comes from the evil-doers at face value are stupid, or ignorant by choice rather.

And I have no specific problem with Christians, I have a negative opinion of all religions, be it Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, or Pagan.

I second that. Its my personal belief that religion itself is the root of all evil.

I am not trying to "bash" anyone or anything... Its just frustrating that this has been allowed to become a religious war - civil and national.

Again, the problem is not due to religious people, but rather the lack of separation between church and state.

"This is America. America doesn't have religious wars. That's why I like living here" - One of my favorite lines from 'Charlie Wilson's War'

Edited by AromaKat

i fail to see how religion was the cause of the problem in these cases mentioned in the videos parallax posted.....you're assuming that everyone at these town meetings going nutso are religious? what do arguments on health care reform have to do with religious people? am I missing something? So I guess I stand by my comments that Fausts initial comments are retarded.

If I said "I know plenty of 'non-believers" that do retarded things, so all non-believers must be to blame for all the worlds problems!" Would that be the equivalent to your comments? but see I know better than to actually believe that because it's not true.

It did stray a bit from healthcare, into religion.

However, the Glen Becks and O'Rielys are completely based on religion. 110%. Pretty much the entire republican party these days for that matter. I understand that there are perfectly good concerns from both sides, but its becoming more and more evident that there is a bandwagon effect happening within religious circles, and not questioning things for themselves.

Edited by AromaKat

i fail to see how religion was the cause of the problem in these cases mentioned in the videos parallax posted.....you're assuming that everyone at these town meetings going nutso are religious? what do arguments on health care reform have to do with religious people? am I missing something? So I guess I stand by my comments that Fausts initial comments are retarded.

If I said "I know plenty of 'non-believers" that do retarded things, so all non-believers must be to blame for all the worlds problems!" Would that be the equivalent to your comments? but see I know better than to actually believe that because it's not true.

It's pretty obvious, dude...come on.

..I take it you don't live in a hicktown to know that 99.9999999999% of "rednecks" haven't stepped foot in a church in whothehellknowswhen!!!!

Here's the thing: people are basically retarded. People are also driven by self-interest. So you've got a bunch of retarded people driven by self-interest and a bunch of other retarded people driven by self-interest telling all the retards that this or that is not or is in their best self-interest. Since people are retarded they eat it up and react like retards whose self-interest is threatened. If you can pick out really simple and retarded things to make your point (the simpler the better, like say, race) then you'll really get the attentions of the retards. Once you get a group of retards attention it's really easy to rile them up and retarded chaos ensues. And even those of us who aren't completely retarded but still sorta retarded and easily amused get to watch the riled retards on tv with a stupified grin on our faces.

THIS.

It's like living in a Douglas Adams novel. Only without the spaceships.

The problem comes in when certain groups of people rally around certain points of view on the issues. So if you have a group that starts off "conservative", but then proclaims themself "the moral majority" and basically makes a pretense (real or imagined) of speaking for Christianity (or any other group), then in the minds of much of the population, certain specific points of view get tied to certain groups of people. Once you've linked political ideas and belief systems, it can be a slippery slope. What starts out as linking justice or something good to your faith becomes linking highly detailed and focused political opinions to your faith (you have to be utterly careful with this). This ends up in kind of a feedback loop, where leaders proclaim certain issues (or candidates) as the "insert belief system here" choice because they pass a litmus test on a few issues, and that proclamation is taken as truth by people of that group, whether or not the group's belief system really supports it.

This can be dangerous, and I think it's part of what AromaKat is talking about. People need to really think through their individual decisions.

The other major downside of that cycle is that then once political ideals are linked to a faith, then anything close to those political ideals is immediately associated with that faith, regardless of what the majority of that faith believes or what it teaches.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's not really a great idea to generalize huge groups of people as all believing in a set of ideals, but at the same time, sometimes people give out the rocks that others throw at them. Ya gotta recognize both sides of it, I think.

I believe there's a bit of overanalyzation here. I don't see religious motives in these town hall meeting shake-ups regardless if these people are or aren't religious. When you're talking about changing something that will effect peoples income and how their health care is provided then we're talking about overall well-being not religion.

If I steal your credit card and ruin your credit score....are you going to want to punch me in the face or knock me around a little? Where does religion come into this equation? It Doesn't. So why is it that those who are on the other side always throw religion in when it's not even an issue.

So why is it that those who are on the other side always throw religion in when it's not even an issue.

I think the short answer is that they are tired of the other side bringing it up first.

Personally, I don't think it really has much of anything to do with the healthcare debate. But I would not be all that surprised if someone brought it up, because the guys with TV and radio shows who like to whip people into a frenzy tend to bring it up first. That's all I'm sayin'. In the end, it tends to be a smokescreen and obscures any real debate on the issues at hand.

And I probably am overanalyzing it. I tend to do that.