Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

The 'new' Pixel Aspect Ratio's in CS4

I'm currently working on something for the BBC and found it a little ironic that they were sending me stuff in 768x576 given that their website specifies 788x576 as the correct square pixel size for PAL SD.

I've worked in a few places since CS4 came out and so far ALL of them were still using 1024x576 for widescreen PAL. I raised the subject a couple of times and most people's attitude was that if the clients weren't complaining why would they change practices they'd had for years.

I was just wondering what other people's experience has been - what proportion of places have switched over? Do you see them being fully adopted any time soon (like before we're all working in exclusively HD anyway)?

Haven´t met a single guy / client / company / other software using the new settings yet. Probably because it just leads to confusion when new and old project & footage files get mixed up. Also: PAL is a dying standard, why should i bother about new specs for such an old format, when HD is about to become the new broadcast standard anyway?

As long as nobody requests me to deliver in 788 or 1080 (don´t even know the new width for widescreen...) i´m gonna continue to ignore this matter.

As long as nobody requests me to deliver in 788 or 1080 (don´t even know the new width for widescreen...) i´m gonna continue to ignore this matter.

The new PAL widescreen is 1050 x 576 not 1080. Just to clarify.

Wow... thanks for sharing, this is the first that I have heard of this. I was just about to finish writing a post on what stupid idiots you all are for not knowing your aspect ratio's, when I decided to check the link. Now I'm feeling like the idiot!

I use CS3, is it safe to assume given the title of this thread that these are indeed the new default presets in CS4?

Further more does anyone know if this is just a BBC thing or is this the new pal standard?

Yep Bobo, thats the Cs4 preset...

We still use 1024x576 but it confused me too. Apparently the 1050 is right and I think there's been a thread here about it before. The white paper also went straight over my head. Then again I haven't had any 1024x576 stuff sent back from the BBC. As far as I can tell (and I'm probably wrong) the extra pixels make up, or compensate the area on the edges where there is distortion of the image on a tv set. Or am I stating the obvious?

found a previous thread with a link to adobe's explanation

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=18388

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f3aa.html#WSA803DAFB-1445-4870-840A-4599ECBC3066

OK. Here's how I understand the math for NTSC stuff (someone please correct me if I messed up):

A TV picture is 486 scan lines high. It is also 4:3.

(486*4)/3 = 648.

The correct pixel aspect ratio for rec.601 is 10/11 or 0.90909090 (repeating). So let's round off as say 0.91. That's the actual standard. The 0.90 was an early fuck-up that no one ever corrected.

648/0.91 = ~702

So the actual 4:3 image that we all know and love is only 702x486. There are an additional 18 pixels that are added on for technical reasons (has to do with avoiding visual distortion I believe). That brings us up to 720x486, which is not EXACTLY 4:3, but slightly wider.

Do the math and you get a square pixel image that is 720x534.

Do I care? I'm not sure yet. Want to run some tests.

And stick to HD when I can...

No offence to any other users, but I'd really like to keep this on the topic of how many of us and our employers / clients / colleagues are using the new ratio's. The debate about whether they are correct or not and why is another matter...

What about you guys in the states? Still working with 720x540 (the new NTSC square pixel preset in CS4 is 720x534)?

If anyone is confused or worried, there's a pretty good article here which, even if you only have 10 seconds is worth looking at for the side-by-side skateboard wheel images. Which demonstrates the difference between the old and new presets.

at some places, 720x486 is still standard NTSC D1, as the Avid stations are setup on the old format. It matters if you are looking to match something within titlesafe/actionsafe. HD centercut it`s another story..

Edited by stoiqa