Sign in to follow this  
T.Blain

ProRes 422 HQ for green screen shoot.

I've been asked to do some research on this. We will need to turn the project around quickly, so the biggest advantage with this is that we could record straight to a hard drive. Are there better options? Is it worth it? Thanks for any help.

Whatever you do, don't shoot AVC-Intra or anything like that. It's more time efficient to go HDCAM.

I did a greenscreen shoot not long ago and realized quickly that AE doesn't play well with straight-to-disk formats. I had to transcode everything to ProRes HQ 4:2:2.

Sorry for changing the topic ( a bit ;o ) , but I was wondering if it's feasible to shoot green screen with a canon 5D mark 2 ?

I'm well aware that the used codec is quite bad but I can always convert it to a more suited one for editing.

Thanks in advance !

Sorry for changing the topic ( a bit ;o ) , but I was wondering if it's feasible to shoot green screen with a canon 5D mark 2 ?

I'm well aware that the used codec is quite bad but I can always convert it to a more suited one for editing.

Thanks in advance !

Not ideal but it can be done, just light well. We recently shot some green screen on the Mark 2 and got good results. I didn't do the comping though so not sure exactly what issues came up.

Thanks in advance !

just to be clear, transcoding won't make any difference as the information that a better codec would be capable of capable of never existed.

A greenscreen shoot is not really the ideal context for a DSLR. The advantage of a large sensor/shallow depth of field becomes a disadvantage with greenscreen where you normally shoot sharp and add blur in post if needed.

It might be possible to capture via HDMI from your DSLR, this would bypass the codec. And Arcadeperfect is right - once your footage is compressed by the camera there is no quality advantage to converting to an less compressed format (though some formats may work more smoothly with your edit suite or effects software, especially on a slower computer)