Sign in to follow this  
casko

Good camera for tracking/matchmoving?

Hi, i want to ask u guys about a good camera to do motion tracking / matchmoving.

I bought a HV30 a year ago, because i wanted to do motion track, but then i realized that hv30 is NOT a good camera for track, because of the cmos / rolling shutter, i tryied myself over and over and i couldnt get perfect results

So this time i want to analize before buy.

Thanks for reading, btw, my bucket is around 1.500 dolars.

yeah, im interested in this as well.

but i fear the answer is something really expensive, looks like i'll have to go rent a camera.

i was thinking of one of the cheap kodak offerings, zx1 zi6, but they have massive rolling shutter issues.

Guest Sao_Bento

yeah, im interested in this as well.

but i fear the answer is something really expensive, looks like i'll have to go rent a camera.

i was thinking of one of the cheap kodak offerings, zx1 zi6, but they have massive rolling shutter issues.

You guys are aware that "the rolling shutter issue" is only a factor if you're moving the camera really fast right? Not shooting fast movement, but the camera itself actually moving fast. Your average handheld shakycam isn't going to mess anything up, you just have to avoid the whip pans for shots you're going to track. Maybe I'm missing something, but how important is it to track a 3D object into a whip pan? Do you do that so often that it dictates the equipment you use?? Sure, it would be great to have a perfect camera that doesn't have any technological faults, but there is none and never will be one.

You guys are aware that "the rolling shutter issue" is only a factor if you're moving the camera really fast right? Not shooting fast movement, but the camera itself actually moving fast. Your average handheld shakycam isn't going to mess anything up, you just have to avoid the whip pans for shots you're going to track. Maybe I'm missing something, but how important is it to track a 3D object into a whip pan? Do you do that so often that it dictates the equipment you use?? Sure, it would be great to have a perfect camera that doesn't have any technological faults, but there is none and never will be one.

have you pulled a decent 3D motion track from a CMOS camera? does having a steadycam or stabilizer help?

shutter prob helps also...

Even the RED has rolling shutter. Like Sao said, in most cases you are fine. I just did 2 jobs with heavily 3D tracked RED footage and all were fine.

well if you have a look at this:

you can see the whole car wobbling like jelly, and i can tell that, that will mess with the tracking.

and the same here for the zi6, check out the roof of the house:

op has a decent budget for a startup camera: 7d with sharp 28/35mm.

You can find good and not expensive manual prime glass, nikon and canon. Still has rolling shutter, but not as bad as zi6 :)

I tried to motion track a fairly slow pan with a CMOS camera last year and because of the non-visible (to my eye) rolling shutter the track slowly listed to the side over the track and eventually gave up entirely.

I don't know at what point the rolling shutter is or isn't too severe to mess up a track, but my point is that it has the potential to mess your track up even if you don't even notice it with your own eyes.

the_more_you_know2.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1273006128&Signature=C%2Bwlt4oLaju91iUW0erdcKD4kmM%3D