Sign in to follow this  
sketchbook

Maxon NAB reel

Maxon posted this online yesterday. As a c4d user, I find it a little embarrassing. The music is awful, and most of the cuts are mediocre at best. Was wondering what others thought about it.

I feel like Maxon doesn't do a good job of finding the best work out there, and they for sure don't know how to cut a compelling reel.

For top c4d motion work I think of studio's like Umeric and Aixsponza. individuals like rizon parein, Tim Clapham and justin bates to name a few.

Maybe I am thinking too much in terms of 3d animation and not motion design, but c4d is a 3d package no?

Maxon NAB Motion Reel

Wouldn't disagree, some impressive stuff showing off the tools but a lot of it's pretty average you're right. I love that capacity cartoon network rebrand though! Just rewatching the reel now, some of the stuff near the end I'd recommend to take out of a student reel! (and I'm still a student myself for another couple of weeks)

The music sounds like it's a techno rip off of Elton Johns "Can You Feel the Love Tonight".

Mustafa noooo....

Hahahaha, Ok good, so i'm not the only one who was thinking that...

AixSponza is in the reel. I have nothing but respect for their work.

http://www.aixsponza.com/index.php?prefs=page__4___lang__en___enum__frame_motion___width__700___/index.phpselect__plugin_aixwell___

I'm on the reel and happy to be in there.

c

Edited by Colin@movecraft

I liked this more than I expected to actually, there's certainly been a lot worse from Maxon in the past. Remember the audience - this is playing in an exhibition booth for a passing crowd probably with no sound, so they're trying to show off all Cinema's features without worrying about making a tight edit. Some was just great, that liquid sequence was gorgeous.

Which is your bit by the way Colin?

edit - just spotted the blinking eye of course it was ;)

Edited by ChrisC

1: Colin: congrats on making it onto the reel dude! The colours are lovely on that spot. (I still think as a whole reel there must be more interesting work to show off their software than some of the stuff in there. As Chris said though it's to serve a purpose)

2:I did NOT know you could link to a specific time in a youtube link! Good to know

Cheers Matt

Thanks gentlemen.

I think Maxon is marketing to it's growth market- Non hardcore 3D artists. Like me, for instance. I couldn't Global Illuminate my way out of paper bag.

Also, didn't we have this conversation already?

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=17013

I think for all the major studios that uses C4D it was more of the same,apart form the l liquid stuff there is the FM spot, the cards, the dragon which ha being promoting C4D on the web for a few years now.

Cant believe the reel lasted 4 minutes, obviously they are targeting the motion graphics people. The film industry is not making business sense for Maxon, there is a lot more money in TV graphics,commercials,presentations, projections,etc...

Edgard

I think for all the major studios that uses C4D it was more of the same,apart form the l liquid stuff there is the FM spot, the cards, the dragon which ha being promoting C4D on the web for a few years now.

Cant believe the reel lasted 4 minutes, obviously they are targeting the motion graphics people. The film industry is not making business sense for Maxon, there is a lot more money in TV graphics,commercials,presentations, projections,etc...

Edgard

I know people who use C4D in feature films fairly regularly- 2012, transformers, and the new wall street just to name a few-

Wasn't the liquid done in RealFlow? I thought this was a motion graphics reel? Granted I love to see the 3d/vfx pushed in these reels, so I'm not complaining.

However as the colorful brushstroke stuff was awesome, the white liquid scene is badly done. I'm guessing this is just meshes right out of realflow with a basic white material added. It's very flat and boring other than the shapes that the liquid is making which has little to do with c4d.

As for c4d being used in feature movies,the vast majority of this is utilizing Bodypaint, as opposed animation/modeling/lighting/etc.

Is it the hippest reel out there? No, not by a long shot, nor do I think it should be. It's not or should be a Superfad/Buck/Psyop/Whomever reel. It's selling tools and not design skills. I DO want to give Maxon huge props though for finally as of last year knowing who it's strongest market is. If you remember before the 2009 Siggraph reel all they ever pimped was Bodypaint in their reels. It was just hollywood movies which were all done in other 3D packages with other renders but the textures happened to have been painted by a Maxon product. So this is a huge step forward.

The music is ghey though.

Who did the thing with the conductor painting liquidy/smokey type strokes? That was pretty cool. I'm guessing that was RealFlow. If not, I'd like to know how to do that in Cinema ;)

Who did the thing with the conductor painting liquidy/smokey type strokes? That was pretty cool. I'm guessing that was RealFlow. If not, I'd like to know how to do that in Cinema ;)

Does a clip like this really belong in a C4D reel? And in such a prominent position? It's clearly a Realflow sim, unless we're getting Fluids in R12 (!) Plus it's a pretty obvious copy of Psyop's HP Touch ad, no?

W

Is it the hippest reel out there? No, not by a long shot, nor do I think it should be. It's not or should be a Superfad/Buck/Psyop/Whomever reel. It's selling tools and not design skills. I DO want to give Maxon huge props though for finally as of last year knowing who it's strongest market is. If you remember before the 2009 Siggraph reel all they ever pimped was Bodypaint in their reels. It was just hollywood movies which were all done in other 3D packages with other renders but the textures happened to have been painted by a Maxon product. So this is a huge step forward.

The music is ghey though.

I hear ya. I think you are probably right that they are doing the right thing for them to cater to the mograph market. Especially considering c4d's advantages in this industry.

I've been wanting to switch over to maya for years for the more robust 3d work, but can't seam to find the time or the patience to get past the annoying interface. I either need to commit or learn some more aftereffects and actually focus on motion design.

It's selling tools and not design skills.

Welp, guess I don't need to post. Oh wait, I am, right now.

I'll add that they obviously want to go with breadth of tools here, and showcase them well and not behind good editing/smoke and mirrors. You'd actually want to have bulls-eye compositions for a purpose like this, which is of course against any of our first instincts. The audience should realize this too I'd think, and I'd at least hope they aren't hiring maxon to design a spot for them.

As you said, sketchbook, you're a C4D user, you're already outside the major demo of this video maybe?

Ha! Well at least you know my opinion has been consistent :)

thanks for pointing out the AixSponza stuff!

Well, the real lesson here is when we are we going to see your good work on the reel? - They won't put it on until after you submit it :) -EDIT: same goes for all the talented dudes, here too. What would the mograph.net reel look like?

C

Well, the real lesson here is when we are we going to see your good work on the reel? - They won't put it on until after you submit it :) -EDIT: same goes for all the talented dudes, here too. What would the mograph.net reel look like?

C

None of my stuff is worthy of a reel. Too damned corporate and boring. I don't even have a reel of my own! :)

But realize I'm not a motion designer. I don't claim to be one. My specialty is 3d design/illustration/rendering. I do some 3d animation, but even if it were good, it's almost always in Vray, which to my knowledge Maxon does not show in their reels.

I apologize for offending anyone who is on the reel. There are many cuts on that reel which are very well done!

The lesson for me is "don't show corporate, boring crap on your website, because people will keep sending you corporate, boring crap". Just haven't figured how to finance this lesson...

But realize I'm not a motion designer. I don't claim to be one. My specialty is 3d design/illustration/rendering. I do some 3d animation, but even if it were good, it's almost always in Vray, which to my knowledge Maxon does not show in their reels.

Even if you were not a motion designer and if they are showcasing the tools and the abilities to connect with other render packages, i think the reel has not achieved its porpoise. It seems to me that they are showcasing what the possibilities of C4D are, otherwise they will showcase Bodypaint the before and after the camera map.The easy of use of the package and how the modules can be used to achieve certain effects.

It is incredible they still have these fight between Vray and AR, why they didnt show Singapaore F1, which was mostly rendered with Vray?

Edgard