Sign in to follow this  
casko

New PC for animator, help.

Hi there, i don't know anything about hardware, and im gonna buy a new pc soon for my studio.

I actually work with the adobe suite, mostly photoshop / flash / after effects and with MAXON Cinema 4D with VRay, so i want

a PC that works good on rendering times.

I have been reading that the Nvidia Quadro works good for this stuff, and i don't know if i should pick an i5 or i7... about ram, how much?

My bucket is around $4.000

Thanks for reading!

-Caskal

Hey there. I just replaced my workstation. Right up front I'll say that I'm not the biggest hardward-head, and you could get this much cheaper if you build it yourself (or have a friend build it).

I have a Dell Precision Workstation T3500 64 bit

12 gb ram

six-core processor at 3.33 ghz.

Nvidia Quadro fx 4800

1 tb hd

It is pretty darn fast.

I got it a few months back with a coupon (this isn't my first workstation from Dell) and that build, with a bunch of extra stuff I threw in, was just under $5k. If you cut down on some of the extras you could probably get it down to your price range. And like it said, you could get it MUCH cheaper if you built it.

for cinema 4d you are wasting your money buying a quadro card....cinema does little to take advantage of it fully...for cinema at least you are better off getting a highend game card.

i'm not sure if quadro cards make a huge difference in AE

quadro cards apparantly do make a huge difference in cs5, for photoshop, AE and premiere.

i5 or i7 depends on what you can afford. look up cinebench scores of each to compare performance.

i would advise against getting a 1 tb hard drive, get 2 500gb instead, safer that way, and formating is faster.

even better if you can afford it, get an 64gb ssd and use it for your OS, and keep all your stuff on the 500gb hard drives.