Sign in to follow this  
xllr8

What do you do as a - Motion Artist -

Every time I get a "big idea", flesh out a few pages o' thumbs, and get ready to rock, I'm quickly humbled by the realization that even simple projects can take a small crew quite a while.

In your particular capacity what do you see assignment wise? Do you put your hands in every stage, or are you a cog in the machine of a well oiled assembly line?

Do animators ever model & texture, or designers ever animate? Do either of them ever get to work on concept development?

I'm just trying to pick an area to focus on to get my foot in the door.

Edited by xllr8

I find this a very interesting question. As i look at so many reels and see how good all aspects are how much is done by the individual? im still at the beginning of it all and wonder how long it'll take :)

I find this a very interesting question. As i look at so many reels and see how good all aspects are how much is done by the individual? im still at the beginning of it all and wonder how long it'll take smile.gif

Well, as far as I can tell there to are 2 main goals with graphics: Personal & Profit.

I think we all would like to express our vision for pay, and some artists might get picked specifically for their particular design aesthetic. That being said I imagine paying the bills is probably a bit more about communicating someone else's vision, or at least promoting their product.

I suppose the number of people involved, depends a bit on the complexity of the shots called for, & whether a piece will include live action, be fully CG, or possibly even traditional cel style animation.

I've only recently really come to comprehend that "motion graphics" really encompasses a very large set of skills, which has had me thinking maybe I don't have to be a "rock star" everything.

Edited by xllr8

I take an idea developed either by a producer or in conjunction with them and then do what it takes to produce that shot. That involves everything from doing styleframes right up to delivering the files for editing.

shoot me an email: Aleksey@ace5studios.com

I'm always looking for ideas to produce as personal projects. Maybe we can work on something together.

But generally the more developed the pipeline the more specialized everyone is.

I personally like to atleast know the process of everything i can get my hands on, because i like efficiency and that only happens when atleast one person knows all their shit =)

So i focus on animation and lighting, but i know how to model, texture, track, rotoscope, rig and so on. Both so i can take on whole projects and then outsource the areas where i'm not as good, an so i can make sure the stuff I output fits into the pipeline.

Every time I get a "big idea", flesh out a few pages o' thumbs, and get ready to rock, I'm quickly humbled by the realization that even simple projects can take a small crew quite a while.

In your particular capacity what do you see assignment wise? Do you put your hands in every stage, or are you a cog in the machine of a well oiled assembly line?

Do animators ever model & texture, or designers ever animate? Do either of them ever get to work on concept development?

Well the only way to figure it out is to try them all and see which one you like most.... plus the worst thing that will happen is that you might learn something new.... :D

It's always nice to have friends who do the same stuff and get them involved... takes most the load off of you..

So basically you are trying to figure out what skills are the most marketable? It also seems like you are trying to find out which is a better work environment boutique vs. big studio?

I think the last question has more to do with your personality. What sort of role do you like to fill in a project. If you like to take on many roles you might want to look for a job at a boutique. I'm really not sure how things work in a larger studio setting. If there would be an opportunity to take on a different role during different parts of the production process or if you would be able to step into a different role for the next project. I guess that would probably depend on the culture of that particular studio.

As far as getting your foot in the door...that has a lot to do with persistence, networking and who you know. Skills are very important too...don't get me wrong. When you are just starting out it seems like there are a lot of people that have similar skills so connections and personality really help. You should check out some of the critiques of the reels that have been posted on this site. I think that they will give you some good insight.

I take an idea developed either by a producer or in conjunction with them and then do what it takes to produce that shot. That involves everything from doing styleframes right up to delivering the files for editing.

Yup, this is what I do too.

Often it comes down to the team involved. The producers know what resources (the team members' skillsets) are available, so they won't promise more than the team can deliver, of course. So find out what you like, do it the best you can while at the same time learning and expanding your tools, then go out and find someone who can use your skills. Just like the (future) producers above you calling the shots, don't promise more than you can deliver.

I know it sounds simplistic, but that's really all there is to it. It seems like a huge barrier of entry when you're looking at it from the outside in, but once you start getting clients, working with a shop/team, and learning which of your skills are marketable, it really is a pretty common-sense business.

I'm new to the motion graphics scene. Most of what I have learned was as a interactive designer. I generally focus on the animation/production based on someones set of storyboards. Occasionally those storyboards were made by me!

So it's seems there really is a bit of everything. I think I see how roles can vary by company size.

I'll definitely shoot you some stuff Vozzz. Gotta finish some print work first though, blink.gif.

Edited by xllr8

I do basically everything myself. I write, scribble, design, animate (DD & DDD), comp, edit, direct, supervise - whatever (good thing about this: if there is an error - i always know who's responsible :) ). Only things i avoid are sound, fotorealistic 3D, cleaning & dishwashing. Obviously i work for small shops most of the time. For bigger studios / projects i sometimes only do one of the above - but find it far less entertaining...