Sign in to follow this  
Nerra

Short Mograph related courses in England / London ?

My employer told me today that if I found any short(ish) courses that I would like to go on, that they would be happy to pay for me to attend which is pretty cool. I'm completely self taught (mostly from this forum) and so I've never attended a course before but if someone else is paying then I'd be happy to go on one.

So the question is, are there any good, intense courses which are either mograph or C4D related, that anyone can recommend in the UK?

there are no "Motion Graphics" courses in England, the closest you'll get is somewhere like Escape Studios which has a twelve-week Maya/Nuke course but it leans heavily toward vfx rather than the theory or principals of design/animation. I think. And it also costs ££££.

My suggestion would be to try to get an evening class (something I regret I haven't the time to do) in either design or fine art or whatever discipline it is you feel you need to work on the most, generally a local college or uni will have these running during term time. I think these tend to be pretty cheap compared to a days worth of software training.

Fxphd is something I'd recommend for technique and deep software knowledge but if you check the classes you'll see it's still very vfx biased, lots of admittedly very interesting courses on DOP and directing.

My C4D knowledge was kickstarted by a very experienced trainer called Matthew O'Neill over at 3dFluff.com and in terms of knowing the programme it's unlikely you'll find better one-to-one training, I can't recommend him highly enough. Lots of pro tips and he's well respected in the industry having done work with Tim Clapham and others.

D

Cheers Dan, good idea about the evening classes, I might check out the local uni and see if they offer anything. I would definitely be more inclined to do a course on design principles or typography for instance rather than how to use a specific piece of software.

Cheers Dan, good idea about the evening classes, I might check out the local uni and see if they offer anything. I would definitely be more inclined to do a course on design principles or typography for instance rather than how to use a specific piece of software.

Yeah, exactly. I'm kind of getting sick of "How to use feature xyz in 3Dwhizzcomp Master Edition" tutorials, all they teach you is how to do stuff the same way as everyone else. Which is why this forum is gold - lots of technique and WHY rather than WHAT & HOW.