Sign in to follow this  
Nerra

Real creative/mograph briefs to work to?

I'm really trying to up my game over the next 6 months so that I can get out of my dead end job and either join a more creative shop or go freelance.

I'd really like to tackle some real briefs and actually take them from concept to completion, giving me the chance to story board and think of a proper rationale rather than just making cool looking stuff in C4D or AE.

Is there a resource online some where that has some real briefs that I can sink my teeth into?

Have you tried writing your own? Sometimes it can be tough to self regulate, believe me I know how that goes, and stick to a creative brief that you create, but really it's just hard to stay on task for personal projects anyway.

It can also be tough to think up projects without making them "fake" commercials for established brands so here are a handful places to start:

• your own brand (reel intro, outro, promo, etc.)

• title sequence for a non-existent movie. Maybe it's an intro to a short film idea you've been kicking around but haven't made yet.

• promotional materials for the company you work for

• 5 second animation project at greyscalegorilla.com

• music video for a friend's band, or a small band you like.

• telling a short story without using type

• telling a short story or message with only using type creatively

These are just off the top of my head based on things I've tried and suggestions I've heard.

I don't know of any resource for unused or old creative briefs though. I imagine those are rarely published.

anothername's suggestion on checking books is good. A lot of design books are geared towards students and professors so they often contain suggested exercises.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The gorillas 5 second projects are good, I'm definitely going to start doing some of those and I'm in the process of coming up with some small personal projects but I was keen to try and problem solve someone else's brief. When you're thinking of your own briefs, its all too easy to think of something thats suits your lifestyle or the things that you're into if that makes any sense?

I did find this place, which might be something cool for other people on here to check out. Its more about coming up with the idea though and not really about coming up with a finished product, but of course there is nothing stopping you creating a finished piece.

http://www.ideabounty.com/

There is "Design School Confidential" by Steven Heller it's a collection of class projects from top design schools. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but must be at least a few good briefs in there.

That book looks really good, I've just ordered it off Amazon, thanks!

For personal, reel-building stuff I find causes I may be interested in or other similar venues and do projects based on that. For example, I've been developing one regarding child soldiers for a while now (not mograph, but same idea), and I'm currently working on one with this illustrator who puts up drawings in random places for people to take with them if they find them. I'm doing a little animation bringing his illustration to life over some live footage in an edited piece that I shot with a friend.

In the end, find something you want to communicate, or are interested in communicating about, then make something.

Edited by a2visual