Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

creative cow

Anyone here frequent the creative cow forum? It seem pretty active, and covers like EVERYthing.

But the forum itseld is absolutely horrible. You have to click on a thread and then expand it to see replies, and the formatting is just annoying and hurts the eyes.

is there like a button that makes it normal? Or do people just tolerate it because it has so many members?

Ahh man, don't get me started on that POS forum! I've hated it ever since I started in the world of graphic design. I only go there when I've searched for something in google and its come up with some thing from the CC forum.

Ahh man, don't get me started on that POS forum! I've hated it ever since I started in the world of graphic design. I only go there when I've searched for something in google and its come up with some thing from the CC forum.

Word to this. I've definitely found some helpful answers from google searches that lead me there, but that's the only time I visit.

Perhaps the bloated interface is intentional? It is Creative COW after all.

There is an abundance of useful information there, but its not a place to visit regularly. I hate having to dig through there, trying to make sense of the posts. I found that many old-schoolers / veterans seem to only frequent that forum.

Guest Sao_Bento

I'd say it's on par with amateur dentistry. Most of the original people on mograph.net came here seeking a refuge from the Cow.

I'd say it's on par with amateur dentistry. Most of the original people on mograph.net came here seeking a refuge from the Cow.

Yeah, I sure did. But the Cows have eyes, and people from Mograph have gone on to post tutes on CC since, so be nice. Besides, when I started my first fumblings with AE in 2002 it was totally invaluable. Now that they are asking expert users like us lot to submit our own video tutes I reckon it'll be relevant at least. But the ancient tutorials from obsolete versions are yet to be replaced.

I thought you could edit the forum layout in your personal settings (remember before mograph got updated anyone??)....

yeah, that's what throws me off too, there are clearly very talented people there, the tutorials are great, when i find links to them, never was able to find anything useful on the actual site.

But the forum software is just shocking.

No one is knocking the actual content, like Vozz said, its the horrible layout which is just terrible. I find it even more irratating and even arrogant of them that they choose to keep it like that especially considering its a 'design' forum. I would expect something like that from some guy running a car mod forum out of his garage not a site as big as CC. The ironic thing is that there are car modding forums run out garages with much better layouts and far superior design to that of CC's.

Goes to show you that informative websites table based websites can survive in this css heavy grid layout loving minimalist world we live in..

No but seriously, the information on that website has been a life saver at times— but at times when i receive a information packed CC email newsletter i cry because the text isn't aligned..

No one is knocking the actual content, like Vozz said, its the horrible layout which is just terrible.

Actually it worked reasonably well back in my day when there were only about 30 main forums, but ever since they decided to create a forum for every plug-in vendor and button in FCP or AE, it has been a mess. I also think the overall quality of the forum posts has degenerated considerably - they have pissed off too many of their "leaders" and the ones still there can't fill the void. As for content - well, it's been eons since I have seen a really good tutorial anywhere. People just never take the time to prepare them properly anymore and it's become a mere cash grab or means of filling their .tv channels or blogs...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

go through waves of being arbitrarily strict and defensive.

This is what sent me away from there...and the prosumerish tenancies that seem mostly prominent. As a "forum leader" I had made a few design-oriented comments on usability of the forums and the general design critiques of the magazine (LOTS of opportunity there ie. u.g.l.y.) and was told to mind my own business. There is some serious heavy-handedness there along with a megalomaniac approach I left have not missed it. I have colleagues that stay on and bite their tongue in the name of marketing but, I can't do that.

mooniacs

-gl

Old timers may remember I was an AE forum leader for a few years until I brought in Mylenium to replace me (sorry). The owners royally pissed me off. Their greed and short sided-ness scared myself and many people away. Which was fine because at the time I was there, every day was a brand new topic called "How do you make ribbons that grow?". Every day. It was refreshing to quit answering the same 8 questions for the bottom of the heap and come over here and learn from people infinitely smarter and better than myself. And where I was free to be as foul mouthed and pissy as I felt and quote or link to companies and not get blocked or reprimanded. They blocked any reference to any company or product that didn't advertise with them. I would try and post help and half the shit I would say would be blocked. They could care less about what helped people, they just wanted viewership as leverage for advertisements. I dig you have to make money, but it got way out of control. Then after several times I would get around their blocks by doing stuff like "Go to To*ol Fa*rm". They would send me nasty notes for daring to make them look stupid by trying to trick their filters in front of the users. Thankyou mograph.net (even though you died a bit after the forum change last year...sniff...).

I have experienced everything that C.Smith just mentioned, but I've also seen the powers-that-be at the COW get a clue. People can now point outside of the COW without (much) fear, for example. I still prefer mograph.net, too, but the COW has gone up a notch in the past couple of years. For whatever that's worth.

sO hao dO U m8k rIbbOnS tHaT grO ?+?

iVe sEatChD dA hOlE wWw tHe lAsT mInUtE +

To*ol Fa*rm gIvS mE 404

((( i t8Pd xACT >> To*ol Fa*rm << )))

cAn aNy1 rApIdShArE aLl cOnTeNt tHeY hAvE

oN tHeIr hD sO i kAn sTeEl, nO sRy, lEaRn ?+?

tNx !+!

Leen-Art -> pRooo mOOO gRafffer