Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Music on your reel

OK I'll bite though I can see a minefield ahead...

He lost me at 'negative energy'. That whole article read like one big old girlie whine dressed up in fancy clothes. 'Personal homage' = I can't think of anything to say myself so I'll see what the words to this song say and make an arty film about that instead, oooh look at my bokeh. He's using an argument of scale, that he's insignificant, to justify something that I think even he knows deep down is indefensible.

In the real world, ethically I decide based on what I can live with and what I can get away with. Sure I'll use a commercial track for my reel. But if some musician doesn't want my cruddy pixels messing up their song it's my problem, not theirs B)

Edited by ChrisC

Guest Sao_Bento

Wasn't really meant to be a trap, I'm just surprised that the author doesn't see the irony in being a creative professional and then using another creative professional's work without permission. The discussions on Mograph usually get at least that far.

OK I'll bite though I can see a minefield ahead...

He lost me at 'negative energy'. That whole article read like one big old girlie whine dressed up in fancy clothes. 'Personal homage' = I can't think of anything to say myself so I'll see what the words to this song say and make an arty film about that instead, oooh look at my bokeh. He's using an argument of scale, that he's insignificant, to justify something that I think even he knows deep down is indefensible.

In the real world, ethically I decide based on what I can live with and what I can get away with. Sure I'll use a commercial track for my reel. But if some musician doesn't want my cruddy pixels messing up their song it's my problem, not theirs B)

I agree that the article seemed a little thin on reason and a bit heavy on "In my opinion..."

There are a few half-points that the author almost hits, but then skips past to make another quasi-analogy.

On a sidenote, for an interesting, and well written, read on IP I recommend checking out Against Intellectual Monopoly

I didn't read that entire article but I've thought for years that the music industry needs to chill. I found this talk very interesting, I didn't realise the fashion industry had no copyright laws.

Ted.com by the way, if you've never heard of it, is an amazing site full of great talks on all sorts of subjects.

I didn't read that entire article but I've thought for years that the music industry needs to chill. I found this talk very interesting, I didn't realise the fashion industry had no copyright laws.

Ted.com by the way, if you've never heard of it, is an amazing site full of great talks on all sorts of subjects.

I love TED... but I hadn't seen this one.

This really needs to get posted in the Plagiarism thread or the Original Knockoff Thread.

I got raked over the coals back then for even suggesting that "if you didn't want to get knocked off then you should make something too complicated to be knocked off".

-m

EDIT: Also... smart girls are super sexy.

Edited by the_Monkey

Yeah, that TED talk is great.

I've never really understood why people get so up in arms over not for profit unlicensed uses of their work. It's one thing ripping off or taking credit for some one else's work, it's another thing altogether to use it as a sound track, or to do an homage.

I've been anything but offended when I've found some of my work cobbled together to make fake commercials on youtube, I thought it was quite hilarious. But then I've been quite pissed off when people have put my animations in their reels.

The article holds no weight. The 'author' (funny how everyone with a blog has become an 'author') is just pissed that he was rejected or received a cease and desist letter.

I'd post in the comment box, but I saw his "blah blah blah" reply then lost interest. It's probably some greasy dude who suddenly thinks he's a filmmaker because he can shoot jello footage on a 5d Mark II and furiously masturbates to his own shallow DoF footage.