Sign in to follow this  
Nacho

Mograph to create different [deformed] trees

Hi

For a current project I'm trying to recreate this kind of tree field very common at northern Spanish marshlands.

exampleju.jpg

The total amount of trees will be around 2500 so I'm using MoGraph.

My idea is to

- use a cloner to create an array of trees.

- use another cloner to create an array of curves that will be used to deform the trees via a Spline Wrap.

(the splines have a nested Random Effector used as Deformation: Point)

- use a Null that control the pX, pY and pZ of every previously mentioned Random Effector

Here's a screenshot:

screenshotmow.jpg

My problem #1 is that I don't know if there's a way of somehow change the seed parameter of every cloned nested Random Effector so that the curves are different.

My problem #2 is that once problem #1 is solved, I don´t know how to link the cloned curves to the cloned Spline Wraps. I suppose it will involve Xpresso.

Obviously English is not my native language and I'm afraid I explained it quite badly so attached here is my C4D file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hotfile link with C4D archive (13Kb)

David, that's a pretty cool solution.

did not know about the blend mode.

still seems to be no solution to have effectors affect a specific value inside the object. only the standard stuff.

Thanks vozzz.

Yes, effectors essentially transform clone matrices or act as deformers. You can however use an effector's Modify Clone parameter to affect parametric object values when the cloner is in Blend mode.

Here's an example using a Shader Effector to drive the Radius and Height values of cloned tubes.

Thanks a lot, David.

I'm sure your solution will do the trick. I really appreciate it.

I thought that another solution could be create a set of, let's say 20, different trees, nest them under the cloner object, set the Clones mode to random and then apply a random effector to modify the Y rotation in order to avoid noticing the repetitions.

Just out of curiosity, still I'd like to know if there's a way of connecting parameters of one set of cloned objects to another. When I finish this project I'll check out MoGraph's Data Node, maybe that could be a way...

Thanks a lot, David.

I'm sure your solution will do the trick. I really appreciate it.

I thought that another solution could be create a set of, let's say 20, different trees, nest them under the cloner object, set the Clones mode to random and then apply a random effector to modify the Y rotation in order to avoid noticing the repetitions.

Just out of curiosity, still I'd like to know if there's a way of connecting parameters of one set of cloned objects to another. When I finish this project I'll check out MoGraph's Data Node, maybe that could be a way...

No worries Nacho, I hope it works as expected. I'm not aware of any way to connect parameters. Unfortunately the Data node doesn't allow input to clones.

vozzz, Dropbox seems to be working okay now...

had been playing with this as well.

couldn't really come up with anything decent without complicating things.

this one's simple and easy. almost elegant.

nice one, david.

mucha suerte en los pantanos, nachito.

douwe

yeah, wow Dave, impressive! will have to try it out with user data.

is that just a standard shader effector, with the shading tab switched to color, or is there something else going on?

Thanks guys, I'm just accessing the built-in functionality of MoGraph.

is that just a standard shader effector, with the shading tab switched to color, or is there something else going on?

Yes, it's a default effector with Modify Clone set to 100% and a Texture Tag loaded into the Color Channel. So generally you load an effector, set Modify Clone and disable anything unwanted under the Parameter tab.

I've just been exploring this a bit more.

When using a field of influence for the effector's Falloff, values between the red and yellow radii will taper off to the blend applied by the Cloner, which is probably not desirable. To prevent this, use a Plain Effector (Modify Clone 100%) to cancel out this blending. Changing the Plain Effector's Maximum value to -100% inverts the default state.

To see what I mean, in this example disable and enable the Plain Effector and reverse its Maximum value.