Sign in to follow this  
Lab 316

Why render out image sequences?

I'm a fairly new noob to creating digital media in AE and C4D, and in most of the tutorials I see everyone is rendering out in a Image Sequences instead of Quicktime Animation videos, or choose your pick of video codec.

Why is this? Why is it better to render out an image sequence from C4D or AE?

My workflow is mostly from AE to Premiere, and I never understood why i should render out an image sequence.

The reason I always do image sequences is that if a render fails or the power goes out I can start rendering from where it stopped instead of having to start all over again. That and if you are using a 32-bit workflow you are limited to sequences of EXRs or TIFFs or whatever. Just a couple reasons - I'm sure there are more.

R

The reason I always do image sequences is that if a render fails or the power goes out I can start rendering from where it stopped instead of having to start all over again. That and if you are using a 32-bit workflow you are limited to sequences of EXRs or TIFFs or whatever. Just a couple reasons - I'm sure there are more.

R

do you ever render out in a self contained format? i.e. QT or AVI

In addition to the above reasons, I find image sequences easier to work with sometimes too. Compared to some video codecs, image sequences make it quicker and easier to move around in the timeline in AE. Maybe because there's no intraframe compression? Or maybe I'm imagining things.

Edited by nog

do you ever render out in a self contained format? i.e. QT or AVI

You render QT's and such out when your done with the project... i only render qt's out of AE also, there is no need to render it out of an 3d software ever because if your render fails...then you just got F'd in the A...

It goes like this :

3d render an image sequence(s) > AE for composite (or nuke, etc) > Qt to finish....

----

Lets say a client doesn't like part of the 3d... (frame 340-348) if you had rendered a qt you would have to bring in a new movie (of those frames) to AE and either cut the old out or overlay the new....

But had you of rendered an image sequences then all you have to do is render over those old frames and refresh in AE and your done...

hope that helps.

You render QT's and such out when your done with the project... i only render qt's out of AE also, there is no need to render it out of an 3d software ever because if your render fails...then you just got F'd in the A...

It goes like this :

3d render an image sequence(s) > AE for composite (or nuke, etc) > Qt to finish....

----

Lets say a client doesn't like part of the 3d... (frame 340-348) if you had rendered a qt you would have to bring in a new movie (of those frames) to AE and either cut the old out or overlay the new....

But had you of rendered an image sequences then all you have to do is render over those old frames and refresh in AE and your done...

hope that helps.

sweet, that makes alot of sense! thanks!

Yes, all those reasons and also you may need an alpha channel for your 3D renders for compositing in AE, in which case I tend to use a TGA sequence.

One workaround if you don't need an alpha channel, and rendered to a QT movie or AVI, but wanted to re-render and fix just a few frames, is to import the QT/AVI to AE and render it out as an image sequence and just replace the frames you fixed.

Yes, all those reasons and also you may need an alpha channel for your 3D renders for compositing in AE, in which case I tend to use a TGA sequence.

One workaround if you don't need an alpha channel, and rendered to a QT movie or AVI, but wanted to re-render and fix just a few frames, is to import the QT/AVI to AE and render it out as an image sequence and just replace the frames you fixed.

What is the difference/benefit between a PSD or TIFF sequence vs. a TGA sequence?