Sign in to follow this  
jkorenman

Software for remote viewing / approval???

Hey all,

I work in a market where it is VERY tough to find solid After Effects and Cinema 4D freelancers. We are looking into solutions to make it easier for us to work with people who are in different states / countries. My main concern with working remotely with animators is that it takes so much extra time to see the direction someone is going in when they are not in the same building. I have heard of people using stuff like Quicktime Broadcaster to be able to remotely view a live-feed from a remote editor, but I've never seen it done with After Effects.

Does anyone know if this is possible? This wouldn't work with Cinema 4D obviously, but maybe there is a good screen sharing app that works really fast and has a good quality preview. Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks!

joey

connectnow is an excellent option as it is purely web based except for a little flash plugin that needs to be downloaded...and the free one has only gone down a few times for me.

my biggest issue is that there can be a fair amount of lag...and in apps with low contrast you can loose a bit of detail.

teamviewer is what i use personally now as it also offers the option to remotely access my computers while i'm away...and it has far less lag.

the downside is you need to download dedicated software.

skype also offers screensharing...its pretty smooth but has some of the heaviest compression out of the three...i would use it as a last resort...once again it requires a full download...but most freelancers should have it already...can't beat that free calling.

I work remotely with clients a lot and I use cinema4D.

I just dropbox, and drop single renders/ preview playblasts in on a regular basis while I work, and they give me feedback either through skype or email. Works great.

Just need disciplined animators, which i know aren't easy to find. But hey, there's me =)

yourwebsite doesnt seem to work by the way ( at least the link in your signature)

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll definitely check out all of those options. Vozz, I hear ya about finding disciplined animators. Dropbox might actually be a decent option, especially for Cinema 4D software renders. I guess you could always save out low-res RAM previews from AE too.

I checked out your site too, and will DEFINITELY give you a shout next time we are looking for freelancers. Great stuff. I updated my signature with our new site as well.

joey

My main concern with working remotely with animators is that it takes so much extra time to see the direction someone is going in when they are not in the same building.

Just to let you know... no software will make this problem go away as much as you'd like it to.

You will need to add a significant amount of time to the project to accommodate for remote communication.

You also lose a lot of invisible benefits of sharing a space like morale, inspiration, and teamwork.

Those words sound corny as hell in the office place, but they are real things that affect the quality of projects.

Also, OSX has had remote screen sharing/capture/transfer built-in for the last several years.

-m

Just to let you know... no software will make this problem go away as much as you'd like it to.

You will need to add a significant amount of time to the project to accommodate for remote communication.

You also lose a lot of invisible benefits of sharing a space like morale, inspiration, and teamwork.

Those words sound corny as hell in the office place, but they are real things that affect the quality of projects.

Also, OSX has had remote screen sharing/capture/transfer built-in for the last several years.

-m

Very true. Ideally Boston would have 8-10 experienced and talented freelancers that we could call in for projects, but that just isn't the case. I'm willing to give the remote thing a fair shake, but I'd definitely want to do whatever we could to make it a smooth experience.

Thanks for all the comments!

joey

Very true. Ideally Boston would have 8-10 experienced and talented freelancers that we could call in for projects, but that just isn't the case. I'm willing to give the remote thing a fair shake, but I'd definitely want to do whatever we could to make it a smooth experience.

Thanks for all the comments!

joey

hey Joey,

I just sent you a PM.

-mike