Sign in to follow this  
inspaise

Thinking particles and Regular particles

thinking particles is not as cool as i thought it would be, now that i am getting deep into it i really wish i could just use the stock particle system in C4D instead

except there is only 1 very simple function i am missing from the regular emmitter that has entirely caused me to learn thinking particles

all i want to do is control the scale of a REGULAR particle over its life (not thinking particles, im very aware of how to do that)

prefereably in the same way you control the scale of thinking particles

if i could do that, i literally would not need thinking particles, not only are all the functions pretty redundant, they are 10 times as cumbersome to setup

modifiers are so much easier to use

thinking particles takes so much more time to setup when you are using volumes for effectors, the falloff and volume functions are so complicated compared to setting up normal particles with modifiers, where you visually size the object along with a few visual parameters

not trying to crap on thinking particles, i realize its super powerful, yet for me, all i need is scale control on my regular particles and i could do away with thinking particles

well the real solution is to use all the preset tp setups :D

or you could just try the end scale value in the standard particle object....right there at the bottom...its set to 1 by default.

a higher value will cause particles to scale up.

lower values will cause them to scale down.

the oe note is that this is only over time....where as with tp and the preset modifiers you can define specific volumes etc.

Edited by tarzan_jesus

Here's a simple setup utilizing mograph with a step effector

to achieve scale over age effect:

http://www.yader.de/transfer/partikel_groesse_ueber_zeit.c4d.zip

Standard Emitter used together with mograph gives you nearly all

the functionality as tp has, making tp look like an old grandpa –

which it actually is, as it hasn't been updated for a long time.

Here's a simple setup utilizing mograph with a step effector

to achieve scale over age effect:

http://www.yader.de/...er_zeit.c4d.zip

Standard Emitter used together with mograph gives you nearly all

the functionality as tp has, making tp look like an old grandpa –

which it actually is, as it hasn't been updated for a long time.

I'm usually a major lurker on these forums, but I have to say, that I never thought of using the Cloner 'object' to clone onto the Emitter. Having shied away from TP (just haven't had the time and I'm not very good with code in any format ) Just wanted to post and say, that just gave me an entirely different way to look at particles coupled with the Cloner object and effectors. Especially with the new dynamics engine in r12, this is a brilliant solution.

Thanks, Tezuka!

You're welcome imynderup, you can go even further.

Pipe a Standard Emitter into a Matrix Object,

in order to generate Thinking Particles, pipe the Matrix Object into a

Cloner Object and voilá, now you can use Standard Emitter Effectors,

Cloner Effectors/Dynamics AND Thinking Particles Effectors on one Setup.

Of course it's buggy and I have to admit, that I didn't find a good use

for that kind of setup, but who knows…

Edited by tezuka

I feel the opposite. while it's pretty obvious TP has not had an update in a while. I got used to all the functionality on hand when using Trapcode stuff, so when I started to use c4d particles. I found it really limited. with mograph it gets pretty powerful, however TP is great for crazy setups and generative stuff, or when you need particles to do things you normally wouldn't think particles are supposed to do, like paint flaking off of a moving car. It's a toss up I guess.

I still prefer Thinking Particles as a starting point.

Eventually they'll always get cached to a Matrix or a Cloner for realtime malleability, but as old as it is... you can't beat the precision of TP.

The presets make it mad easy for beginners. Back in the day if you didn't have your own library you were SOL.

-m

What I like about the Standard Particle System is,

straight out of the box it's easy to understand and use,

but leaves many possibilities open in conjunction

with Deformers and Cloners.

Don't get me wrong, them more flexibility/possibilities

an app has to offer, the better. But relying heavy on xpresso knowledge

and therefore having a steap learning/handling curve, gives only

a small fraction of people the full power of TP.

Look at the forums, the users out there have

huge problems by simply don't understanding the presets

that come with TP, let alone build a setup themselves.

TP is for the elites, SP for the masses ;-)

It would be a nice exercise to build the TP presets

that come with C4D only with Standard Particles…

Hey Monkey... Would you happen to have an example of before and after where you cached the TP to a cloner. New to TP but not cinema and having trouble visualizing how that would work

thanks either way

Look at the forums, the users out there have

huge problems by simply don't understanding the presets

that come with TP, let alone build a setup themselves.

TP is for the elites, SP for the masses ;-)

It would be a nice exercise to build the TP presets

that come with C4D only with Standard Particles…

Since i have built those presets i thought i chime in :)

I agree that on themself the presets are a bit hard to use, but everyone who makes the effort to get the documentation (http://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/materials-and-goodies.html) and checks the example files that are alongside the presets in the Content Browser shouldn't have more difficulties as if these were real objects or standard particle presets.

Also you simply can't rebuild nearly all the presets with standard particles, they simple don't have the neccesary properties. It would be a major plugin coding / scripting effort to create this missing functionality and the end result would be similar complex than the current TP based presets.

Cheers

Björn

Hey Monkey... Would you happen to have an example of before and after where you cached the TP to a cloner. New to TP but not cinema and having trouble visualizing how that would work

thanks either way

Sure. I'll try to post something tomorrow... but it's pretty straight forward.

Set your Matrix Object to Object Mode and drag your PGroup (from the particle settings) into the Object field of the Matrix.

Then simply add a MoGraph Cache Tag and bake it.

If you need to actually clone objects you can use the cached Matrix Object in the Object field of Cloner.

That may seem like an unnecessary step, but I've shifted my view of Matrix Objects. Before I didn't really know why I needed them (besides controlling deformations of cloners), but now I'm constantly using them as "Information Objects". If I run into motion I like I'll simply cache the Matrix and add it to a library. I may have several Matrix objects in a scene that I'll use to drive a single cloner. They're lightweight and incredibly flexible.

Also, I've noticed that you can cache a Matrix object and drag the MoGraph Cache Tag back and forth between a Cloner and the cache works the same on both.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey