Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

Macbook air and AE? Plus new company name????

Looking into purchasing a notebook.... first can any of the macbook airs run After effects and C4d decently or would that be a waste and I should be looking into a Macbook Pro?.... Also I have to dissolve my current corporation due to tax reasons(kinda fell behind) My company name was FlipSwitch which almost everyone liked the name... any cool names you guys are willing to give up? Here are just a few I was toying with:

Machine Elves, Transforming Machine Elves, Machine Elf

or

The Letter 6

Those are just a few off the top of my head. As you can see I am looking for something pretty different and a little weird. So ya come join the convo and suggest I am desperately looking forward to hearing comments about the laptop and new name.... I cant wait to hear what anyone has to say... Thanks in advance!!!

Dont get a Macbook Air, its not worth your time. its basically a laptop to surf the web.

Your company should be:

Bubble Guts.

haha

thanks no macbook air...got it... so i guess even a macbook isn't good enough and i should concentrate on the macbook pros.... Bubble guts doesn't have a good ring to it... so I am afraid that doesn't make the list... even if you were just joking... im looking for some cool ideas... hook it up guys waddya got to loose...unless you are keeping one for yourself... i got a few more... really leaning on some form of terrence mckennas name he came up with....

Self transforming machine elves... im all about DMT and the wondrous world you enter after using it....

swipflitch

whats with the not funny jokes... im asking you from one motion designer to another... HELP A BROTHA OUT!... seriously I feel like im on ebuamsworld comment section or something... lets all be real here... i need some help if no one can can someone point me in a direction to a more respectful forum? don't get me wrong im always up for people having a good GO now and again but at same time i would love some seriousness

Naming a business is an awful experience. So much stuff to consider, like if there is a good domain name, (luckily .tv is popular among mographers and there is a lot more availability there) and how it will be received by potential clients, etc. IMO, the more of a rockstar you are, the more absurd your name should be. If you are Carlo Vega you could name your studio Pastamancer, but if you're an average joe designer, you could name it Flipswitch Creative Services. You probably want to be somewhere in between. Just think of something that you can live with and worry more about how your reel looks.

when i read you post bubble guts i thought it had a nice ring, i at least laughed pretty hard.

I think you should get a dictionary, close your eyes, and open to a random page and point. what ever word you land on you should use. And shit, if you don't like that, just try it again until you find one you like!

no mac book air or macbook

pretty much unless in our line of work. Get the top 17in MBP and max it out. Finance it and pay it off over the next year. Anything less and you will be frustrated and probably have wasted your money.

I'd recommend getting a 15" rather then a 17". Use it with an additional external monitor when working at at desk, but 15" still gives you the flexibility to work remotely- at coffee shops or the park or whatever. 17" is just too big for portability.

Also, I recommend http://www.company-name-generator.com/. It actually gives some pretty good names and also tells you if the associated url.com is taken or not.

I concur with the "forget about the Macbook Air" consensus. In the wise words of Nick "Greyscale Gorilla" Campbell, "buy the fastest computer that you can afford right now" for your work.

As far as the company-naming is concerned, I went through a similar thing just recently while filing LLC documentation. I decided to stick with my name, since that's what I've always used.

I concur with the "forget about the Macbook Air" consensus. In the wise words of Nick "Greyscale Gorilla" Campbell, "buy the fastest computer that you can afford right now" for your work.

As far as the company-naming is concerned, I went through a similar thing just recently while filing LLC documentation. I decided to stick with my name, since that's what I've always used.

At the risk of sounding like a douche (wich i am though), if you have trouble coming up with a company name or didn't even at least try and do some proper thinking first, you're in the wrong business.

That said, how can someone come up with a name without a)knowing who you are/what you're about b)what you want to achieve c)who your clientele is d)what the quality of your work is e)what your strongpoints are f)why someone should do business with you.

Do the conceptual work. Come up with a name.

Try to stay away from things that will sound dumb after a few weeks (or immediately for that matter). Flip Switch was good. Machine Elves sounds really lame (sorry, just my opinion).

How about "TipTopic"?

... yeah I stole that from the "Start New Topic" button but still.

Edited by monovich

Coming up with a name is so freaking hard. I'm not sure that I'm the best one to give you advice...I think the name that I came up with might make me sound like an arrogant bastard.

How about:

Hyper-Punch, Fever Punch, Toxic Lunch, Lick, Cantaloupe, Gut Bomb, centipede.

After as many years as you've been posting on this site, do you really need a consensus to know a Macbook Air is not going to do a reasonable job running AE on a professional level?

As far as names, anything goes. Really. A single random word. The more obscure, abstract and completely unconnected to what you're actually doing the better.

It's not about length (pun intended) but about what you do with it. Not that shorter isn't better, but don't make it short because you should.

Also, obscure names, ie latin phrases are a very bad idea.

Again, look at it from the client's perspective and ask yourself what their reaction would be. 99 out of 100 the answer on something like 'hyper-punch' would be: "WTF is hyper-punch."

Branding should not be random. It's the same as a client asking for "short, simple random shiny graphics that look cool" That's not really the work you want to do is it?

Names:

In Soho, London they use the following formula c/a=n or Colour + Animal = Name, or the more popular Adjective + Random Noun = Name

As for machine elves, it sounds like you've been doing DMT, so why not just "DMT". I like it. I see it formed of welded steel outside your entrance. D M T yeahhhhhhhh