Sign in to follow this  
J Montreuil

Things I learned in AE this week purely by mistake.

1. When a layer is selected, you can use Opt and P,R,T to add in keyframes at the current time marker with the current value of those parameters.

2. Command and the left and right arrow keys skip forward and backward single frames.

Any other random tips or tricks you learned by mistake?

Today I accidently hit shift+apple+Y in Photoshop and thought I had deleted a whole bunch of colors. That scared the crap outta me. Turned out it was the Gamut warning, whatever that is. I think they need to put up alerts when you do something like that, especially when you're fumbling over tons of 4 to 5 finger "shortcuts."

1. When a layer is selected, you can use Opt and P,R,T to add in keyframes at the current time marker with the current value of those parameters.

It's better than you thought. It works with any of the single-key property shortcuts in this table. I use Alt+M all the time when doing rotoscoping; I set my first mask path keyframe with that.

(I made a mistake regarding an extraneous Shift at the bottom of that table, but the mistake is noted in the comments on that page.)

It's better than you thought. It works with any of the single-key property shortcuts in this table. I use Alt+M all the time when doing rotoscoping; I set my first mask path keyframe with that.

(I made a mistake regarding an extraneous Shift at the bottom of that table, but the mistake is noted in the comments on that page.)

I can Alt M to set a mask keyframe? Jeez, I can't imagine how many keystrokes that would have saved me.

Todd will you come hang out with me at work? Point out little tricks to me?

I had another question for you but I've had just enough (not too many) gin and tonics and I can't remember it. Wait until tomorrow, I'll think of it.

I can Alt M to set a mask keyframe? Jeez, I can't imagine how many keystrokes that would have saved me.

Todd will you come hang out with me at work? Point out little tricks to me?

You can get the next best thing. Guess how? Here's a hint: That thing about setting mask path keyframes is the first tip listed in "Rotoscoping tips".

Or, if you don't like to read the documents that I slaved over for several years, you can just buy this.

You can get the next best thing. Guess how? Here's a hint: That thing about setting mask path keyframes is the first tip listed in "Rotoscoping tips".

Or, if you don't like to read the documents that I slaved over for several years, you can just buy this.

Todd, I rather profit from your slavery. Ima drink a drink for you. What do you want?

Todd, I rather profit from your slavery. Ima drink a drink for you. What do you want?

Lots and lots of coffee.

Getting no sleep because of two great dane puppies is not how I want to spend a Friday night, but the Saturday morning after is even worse.

Alt, Todd? So I take it Adobe is still feuding with Apple?

Of the three computers that I use regularly, two are Macs. Adobe owns those. The HP running Windows that I have at home for personal projects is my own choice. That hardly gives evidence to the (ridiculous) idea that Adobe is feuding with Apple. Maybe some pieces of the huge company that is Adobe make some things that don't currently fit within Apple's strategy, but that has nothing to do with us on the After Effects team.

I get sick of people trying to stoke this virtually nonexistent fire. Seriously. It is just a distraction, and it distorts the truth. I wouldn't be so annoyed if people (not Adobe people or Apple people) trying to stir up conflict didn't reliably waste a significant fraction of my time every time I go to a trade show, etc.

Todd, I remembered my other question:

I use a lot of composition markers but it not intuitive to have to grab one from the little spot and drag it to the area where it goes. Is there a shortcut to place a comp marker? More ideally, the tooltip calls it the "marker bin". Is there an actual bin that I can store default markers in and click one to place one? Like I can have A's B's and C's and click on each one to place a marker with that at the current time marker?

Is there a shortcut to place a comp marker?

an excerpt from "Composition markers":

# To add a blank composition marker at the current time, make sure that no layer is selected, and choose Layer > Add Marker or press * (multiply) on the numeric keypad.

Note: Pressing * during a RAM preview or audio-only preview adds a marker at the current time without interrupting the preview.

# To add a composition marker at the current time and open the marker dialog box, make sure that no layer is selected, and press Alt+* (Windows) or Option+* (Mac OS) on the numeric keypad.

# To add a numbered composition marker at the current time, press Shift + a number key (0–9) on the main keyboard.

Note: If the number you press is already used by another composition marker, After Effects does not create a new marker. Instead, it moves the existing marker with that number to the new position.

I found that with this search.

Of the three computers that I use regularly, two are Macs. Adobe owns those. The HP running Windows that I have at home for personal projects is my own choice. That hardly gives evidence to the (ridiculous) idea that Adobe is feuding with Apple. Maybe some pieces of the huge company that is Adobe make some things that don't currently fit within Apple's strategy, but that has nothing to do with us on the After Effects team.

I get sick of people trying to stoke this virtually nonexistent fire. Seriously. It is just a distraction, and it distorts the truth. I wouldn't be so annoyed if people (not Adobe people or Apple people) trying to stir up conflict didn't reliably waste a significant fraction of my time every time I go to a trade show, etc.

I believe he didn't mean offense but rather the "alt" key being next to the "apple/command" key, and the choice of using "alt-m" opposed to "apple-m" (which happens to be add to render queue that i learned by mistake ^^)

In the Render Queue: Right click > 'Duplicate with File Name'. I had no idea.

Also, using Alt/Option + Arrow keys to adjust kerning (works across Adobe products).

Still surprises me that I'm coming across these things after seven years.

Also, using Alt/Option + Arrow keys to adjust kerning (works across Adobe products).

Still surprises me that I'm coming across these things after seven years.

Keyboard shortcuts for kerning, tracking, and leading are toward the bottom of the "Text" table on this page.

My point in posting these links is to drive home the point that if you value such information, then you could dedicate some time to actually reading through the documentation for the software, and you'd find lots of it. Reading through the documentation is a lot more efficient and reliable than picking up little bits and pieces from a random website here and forum post there. If everyone were to actually RTFM, then forums like this one could be dedicated to solving hard problems and sharing creative work and ideas, rather than asking and answering questions for which the definitive answer is already written. I know that people are going to say that it's boring and tedious to RTFM, but---as the "Woe is Mograph" thread indicates---it's possible for a community forum to become boring and tedious when people fail to RTFM and the conversations end up being (in large part) about simple technical details.

OK, I'll stop now.

Probably way behind on this, but by accident discovered that in the output modules you can command+click and drag to scrub down the quicktime (or whatever) settings to not snap to high, medium, low, etc. Doh!