Sign in to follow this  
Peiter

Canon 60D or 7D

Is the $600 savings from 60D to 7D really worth it? Financially Im not opposed to getting the 7D, but I really didnt notice a big difference in the side by side comparison. Aside from the plastic case of course. Is that a big deal? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

P

For video (and good photography): 60d

For professional photography and good video: 7d

The 7d is super heavy, like it's big brother 5dMkII.

The articulated screen on the 60d is great.

Both cameras allow you to take exceptional images. They use the same crop sensors. Same video quality. The 7d is more for news/nature photography. It's harder to lug that thing around.

http://prolost.com/blog/2010/11/14/hdslr-shopping-what-you-want-is-a-canon-60d.html

Read that.

Get a 60d if your main concern is video. Spend the extra $$$ on L lenses.

Edited by hyp3

Lots of good info in this thread I started on the subject. I got the 60D and used the extra $ I saved vs. 7D to get some good glass. Have shot some video now, including some client shoots and I am very happy with the results/choice of camera. Only real downside of 60D for me is lack of HD monitoring, kind of nervewracking judging focus if you are shooting really shallow DOF without HD monitor. I also suggest you use some of the $ you save vs. 7D to get a good denoising plugin. Amazing how little light you need to shoot with 60D if you run your footage through some kind of denoise.

if your main concern is video, why not get a 550D and spend the extra money on lenses, as far as i know the video on 7D = 550D.

Although no swivel screen. meh dunno. But do tell us what you decide to do in the end.

I just struggled with this same decision 2 weeks ago.

Ended up getting the 7D.

Reasons:

• completely new 19 point AF system. Better than even the 5D mkII (i will be using a lot for photography as well)

• metal body (i plan to shoot a lot up on the mountain in the snow, etc and need the extra protection)

• dual processors. again, will be shooting a lot of sport stuff, so the extra processor should help

That said, the articulating screen is a biggy. Sad i don't have it.

I just bought a 60d and I love it ... its a great camera ... just get yourself some decent lenses because the stock one is kinda crappy. As far as what I use it for the 7d and its perks just didn't seem like a valid reason to cough up another 500-600 bucks

The 7D has twice the throughput (dual processors, twice the channels) of the 60D. That's more of a photography thing though. I absolutely love 8fps! But I bought it for photography. I've played around with the video a little and that's really cool, but I wasn't shopping for a video camera.

The big thing I like about the 7D that makes me glad I didn't wait for the 60D: the location of the buttons, switches, and dial. For $100 you can send your 7D to Canon and get the locking Mode dial on the top of the camera installed, the one that the 60D has. For you video junkies, shooting video is a pushbutton operation on the 7D (your Live View button can be selected for either purpose). No mode dial cranking, you can switch to video mode and back to photography with one button press.

I have a battery grip on mine, so it's VERY heavy. But it's exactly what I've been waiting for: amazing autofocus, big viewfinder, and awesome low light performance.

Cf

One issue with the 60d if you plan to do external monitoring via HDMI.

The 1080i image switches to 480p when you hit the record button. This also happens with the 5dMkII.

The only camera in the Canon line that can provide HD out during recording via HDMI is the 7d, because it has 2 Digic 4 processors.

An additional thought. The 5DMkII is a full frame camera, which means a 50mm lens will be 50mm. A 50mm lens on the 7d/60d will have to be multiplied by 1.6x. Keep these in mind if you're not familiar with photography.

There are a lot of resources online, check it out.

Edited by hyp3

So, I don't hear many of you about the panasonic lumix gh2. Better resolution, no moire, no aliasing. Just the hassle of 4/3 lenses, but an adapter fixes most of that.

I did some research on the GH2 and really liked the quality vs. the Canon. But not by much. It's a much finer camera for video, definitely.

The Canon is still a Canon. Loads of lens options, especially if you already have Canon lenses and don't want to use an adapter.

Man I wish Nikon did better than the D7000...It's more expensive and the video quality suffers.

damn i got myself a 550D specifically for the purpose of making videos to stick 3d animations into it, and yet to produce anything useful. ARGH! had it for like 6 months now...

A buddy of mine shot this on a 60d with the stock lense ...

the 60d in my opinion is a solid camera, but if you have the extra cash/need for extended ISO/etc then do the 7d