Sign in to follow this  
Peiter

2011 Reel

i really like your work, but that reel is waaay too long, and the music needs to be more exciting, i started getting bored around the 27s mark, and then turned it off a minute in.

so yeah get some up beat song and make it all go a lot faster =) Otherwise sweet stuff

Changing the audio is certainly one way to go, but I don't think it's the only way, especially if this track indicates the tonality that you're going for. I like that you're going with a different recipe than the usual expected thing. But I would agree that it's not working as well as it should. And it has mostly to do with the way you're pairing and cutting your work with the audio.

This track is fairly strong, by which I mean it has its own character and narrative, and you either have to use that to your advantage, or overcome it if you want your work to succeed by it. You know, you can listen to two different tracks, like an old country song with slide guitar and mournful vocals by some woman who's been left for another, versus a surf tune with fast twangy guitar and talk of drunken revelry. Either of those will take you to one of two very different places mentally, because their specific sounds hold a lot of narrative. That's pretty obvious, but what it highlights is that the track you've chosen, out of all of the possible sounds and narratives in the world of music, inhabits a pretty specific mental space. And it seems like you really need to listen to it and understand the particular story it's telling before you try to marry your imagery to it. I think you're part of the way there, but a lot of your choices about what goes where and how to show it seem haphazard.

And yeah, as a specific suggestion, you might consider ending it at about the 1:15 mark. There are plenty of shots that currently amount to still frames that the camera is moving over or that don't benefit much by their own animation, so don't linger on them. Use them as best as possible, by showing just the crucial moment. The most obvious example would be that grey "level 1" topographic map thing, which looks nice but doesn't tell us anything more as it drags on. Lots of examples of this. You could get through that whole Bulletstorm thing much much more efficiently, probably do quicker flashes of the sunglasses thing, etc. I know you're probably in love with the way you've lined up some of the audio hits with visual events, but that's only interesting to the audience if there seems to be a reason for it. Make connections between the intent of the audio and what you're doing with the video and you'll get much more impact out of each.