Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

Jazzy data

I'm currently churning through a rather dry job for a pharmaceutical company that involves heavy screens of line graphs and similar charts, and want to give these some sorely needed sex appeal? Anyone got any references of that sort of thing? They're almost all line graphs and the data mustnt be distorted or I'll have three dozen lawyers on my case - I've got some basic builds going on but there's a nagging feeling that there must be more than this... So any references would be great. Cheers -C

Ah ha... not quite what I was after ;-)

Should have been more specific I guess. It's not just ways of making graphs in 3D etc - the block I've got is in some way of turning a set of data out on screen with something more interesting that just a line and some points; even if the line is swooping metallic, with shadows etc it's still just a 2D presentation; what I'm looking for is some extra twist that makes use of the 4 dimensions that are available rather than just repeating what could just as well be written out on paper... I've been going through the Information Is Beautiful site, there's some lovely work there but they're very bespoke and rather dense, I'm looking for something unexpected but still immediately identifiable... hmmm. Might have to actually make it myself ;)

Well, if you're not willing to go into 3D and get really dynamic with close up fly bys of your line graph growing and shit and then pull back on it to see the results it will just need to be basic design rules.

Great typography, Contrast in textures & sizes and a pleasing colour sceme. Also a good synced movement to audio will be a must.

Actually, even if getting dynamic in 3D or what ever those design rules should still apply, haha.

Great links, thanks man - I didn't have either of these. And now I do ;-)

Ryan - it's not that I don't know how to make a nice looking line graph - I just want to make something that isn't just another line graph - something that actually uses the extra options opened up by working in 3/4D rather than 2. Line graphs are fine on print jobs, but why restrict yourself once you've left paper behind..? Of course selling this to the daunting layers of suits involved in this project is going to be my next big challenge, I don't expect to succeed but I'd like to try atleast B)

ah, I get it.

Suites layed out on a bed with sleeves going up & down. Sell suites to suites.

or what about a fancy corporate jet that leaves a smoke trail of the graph info. Then cut to suites drinking bubbly and eating caviare in cush leather seats on the plane. Haha, sorry this has noting to do with your project and the ideas are dumb.

Nature? Vines or tree branch growing out to make the graph?

Urban? Clothes line that after a bird leaves its perch springs into a graph shape?

haha, just saw it's a drug company. The trees can get chopped down after the graph grows. lol

Edited by Hamilton

You should come up with some creative visualization ideas like what Hamilton is talking about but then have those transition in and out of the dry line graphs for the lawyers. For example you could make the graphs first, try to figure out what the silhouettes look like and then find a way to tie them together. A person with a headache resting their head in their hands in a dark room next to a lamp, then the camera moves past them and the shadow they're casting on the wall is your accurate line graph.

I agree with Nog and Hamilton, sounds like you want to find a way to make those graphs tell some sort of story.

Part of that could be in the design itself but part of it might be doing something onscreen other than just graphs ...

Is there a way that the script will let you do that?

And just to recommend another cool graph site: http://feltron.com/

Thanks people this is all good stuff. The subject matter is a little too somber for any image-based stuff I think, and there's a presenter talking through the numbers, so it needs to stay abstract - but they're definitely open to having the data covered in a non-linear fashion, cross-linking graphs, pulling out details etc - and the links here have given me lots of ammo, so thanks again.

Edited by ChrisC

Some cool ideas there Monkey. Although some styles would be hard to understand the stats I think if not left on screen for awhile.

Also came across this while surfing amazon. Not sure how worth it if only doing one project like this.,

Thought the idea on the cover could be a cool idea though, done in 3D space with floaty meta balls attached via tracer and

composited over a relevent vid or photo.

http://tinyurl.com/47eczo9

What? No Visual Complexity?

-m

Whee - I'd never been there before. Tasty!

As predicted, I've been reined in quite heavily, partly by client reticence but mostly by the huge swathes of legalese that has to accompany every damn line of data that appears anywhere on screen, however fleetingly. I've ended up back at line graphs really, with a few modifications - a floating 'reader widget' that can flick around the data and a 'room' for each graph formed out a bunch of floating axes that can reconfigure automatically as the data dictates. It's not exactly Tron tho... :mellow:

I'll stick the results up when I can but the data in question, and the event, is confidential at the mo.

But thanks everyone for the references & ideas, all good stuff. Cheers - C

Edited by ChrisC