Sign in to follow this  
Bakahatsu

Yet another expresso question

Hello all

I normally would hold back on posting a c4d question here, but I've posted this at c4d cafe and haven't had a response as yet... with deadline looming.

So, sorry about the cross-post, and the copy and paste from there.

In the file I have a random effector set to linear falloff, moving downwards and displacing clones on the x/z axis, drawing a graph like line.

A spline is connected via expresso so the points on the spline snap to the clone position as the random effector displaces them.

Problem is I've got a lag that won't go away. The spline is struggling to catch up with the clone position and seems to lag by a frame or so, or i skip a frame forward, it lags then suddenly shifts into position a few seconds later. When I've done renders I get the same problem.

So I thought it would be a priority problem, so I stuck my expresso at the bottom of the hierarchy then gave priority to generators with a setting of 499 to no avail.

It'd be great if someone had an idea of what I could do to sort this out

file link

c4d file

Hello all

I normally would hold back on posting a c4d question here, but I've posted this at c4d cafe and haven't had a response as yet... with deadline looming.

So, sorry about the cross-post, and the copy and paste from there.

In the file I have a random effector set to linear falloff, moving downwards and displacing clones on the x/z axis, drawing a graph like line.

A spline is connected via expresso so the points on the spline snap to the clone position as the random effector displaces them.

Problem is I've got a lag that won't go away. The spline is struggling to catch up with the clone position and seems to lag by a frame or so, or i skip a frame forward, it lags then suddenly shifts into position a few seconds later. When I've done renders I get the same problem.

So I thought it would be a priority problem, so I stuck my expresso at the bottom of the hierarchy then gave priority to generators with a setting of 499 to no avail.

It'd be great if someone had an idea of what I could do to sort this out

file link

c4d file

I think I recently had the same exact problem. (Are you using the point index to generate your position?)

let me dig up the file I was working on and see if I can jog my memory.

-mike

You can use the tracer instead of your complicated xpresso setup, just drop the cloner into the tracer objects field, set it connect all objects and drag your sweep setup at the top of the object manager hierarchy. The lag should go away once your scene gets rendered.

If you want to keep your xpresso-setup and the lag is exactly one frame, just copy your cloner/effector setup, drop in a dummy object and offset the animation for one frame and let your xpresso follow that cloner.

Edited by tezuka

I think I recently had the same exact problem. (Are you using the point index to generate your position?)

let me dig up the file I was working on and see if I can jog my memory.

-mike

Hi Mike

Yeah that's right, I was using a mograph data node fed into a point node to snap the spline points to the clones!

You can use the tracer instead of your complicated xpresso setup, just drop the cloner into the tracer objects field, set it connect all objects and drag your sweep setup at the top of the object manager hierarchy. The lag should go away once your scene gets rendered.

If you want to keep your xpresso-setup and the lag is exactly one frame, just copy your cloner/effector setup, drop in a dummy object and offset the animation for one frame and let your xpresso follow that cloner.

Ahhhhhhh the tracer. I just tried it and yeah, it made the expresso a complete waste of time. Thanks tezuka! Good tip on the dummy object too. I'm sure the problem will pop up again at some point... node...

Really appreciate the help guys

Glad it worked. I could only find my "fixed" file, so I have no record of my error. I should have written it down on a stickie note, should it ever come up again.

Glad you fixed it with the tracer object. Mograph has certainly eliminated the need for expresso in several circumstances.

-mike

its ussually to do with priorities.

if you cache your simulation the problem should go away. but it might not go away in your viewport, only in final render. (took me forever to realise that)

also make sure your order in the object manager is correct. I go over similar problems in my dynamic building tuts.

cheers.