Sign in to follow this  
Mografik

MoGrafik Showreel 2011

This can be a pretty tough crowd but in many cases this is our passion and lively hood. We all know the tutorials out there and can spot them from a million miles away and when individuals try and pass work off as their own that clearly isn't it is offensive. Tutorials themselves are not a bad thing. When I first got into mograph I learned a lot from Andrew Kramer's tutorials and I'm not the only one on here. The point is tutorials are a great resource for learning and expanding your horizons. But you cant just recreate work that has already been done and put your name on it. You need to take that knowledge and apply it to a project or scene you are working on in an original way. The knowledge isn't off limits but the exact same style and look of the tutorial is.

You obviously know how to push buttons in After Effects but its time to close the browser and use your brain.

I'm sure there are tons of people out there who give tutorials to unknowing clients and making a living from it.

In fact in my hometown in Ireland practically all the visuals in the nightclubs are undisguised rip offs.

I bet they pay very little for it and (if they knew) couldn't care less if the minuscule percentage of their clients that are motion people think they suck, not if the alternative was to pay full motion graphics prices for original content..

Still, surely a bad move career-wise going down that route when you're clearly capable of some original work..

I'm sure there are tons of people out there who give tutorials to unknowing clients and making a living from it.

Sure there are. But if we're going to operate by validating our actions only against the lowest ethical common denominator, then we're all kind of fucked. And if the threat of hiccups in your career path is the only thing keeping you at some marginal level of ethical behavior, then you ARE the lowest common denominator, and thanks for being a leech.

i wrote this few paragraph funny tangent that said learn from this, then get ambitious and make this or this - but not exactly

then i left work and didnt post what i had written as usual

but this makes me feel lucky for the days when i was young and overusing shine a bit but didnt have the internet pipeline to embarass myself around the people who had been doing this a while and were kind of high up in the game - also all i had was trish and chris, so i wasnt exactly tempted to use their spaceships and moving lines as the basis for a reel element

advice - even if its not genuine, just play the "honest mistake" hand and get verbatim ripoffs off of the reel tomorrow - and come back with something original and be humble about it

mograph.net has been good lately no?

I was told there would be cake.

:(

-m

The cake is a lie.

(Portal 2 releases next month. No, I do not work for Valve.)

(but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't have a tutorial piece on my reel)

all i had was trish and chris, so i wasnt exactly tempted to use their spaceships and moving lines as the basis for a reel element

There's something in that idea - maybe more tutorials need to be like that?

The cake is a lie.

(Portal 2 releases next month. No, I do not work for Valve.)

(but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't have a tutorial piece on my reel)

No cake ... :huh:

man this board sucks haha

ok,firing up an old topic here, but don't you guys see?

These are post modern times, people.

I'm not some photocopier of design, I'm an artist, I'm Tarantino, I'm Duchamp. Hell, even Tim Clapham, a hero to many of us agrees, cites Duchamp as an inspiration:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5740

(see text below Clapham's image)

and yes, Binky:

we're all kind of fucked.

OK, so all that was taking the piss. (Americans, read as 'ripping / knowingly bullshitting)

if you want evidence, I've changed my ways (or at least my reel):

http://mografik.com/reel

But still, to this day, I don't believe there is any crime in my previous reel intro which unashamedly used CityKit. Like I have said, I had that idea, and used City Kit to facilitate it. I used that previous reel to find work a month or so ago, and I didn't have to lie to anyone.

During an interview I played the prospective employee that reel, he saw the intro and said - 'hey, that's City Kit, right?' which I confirmed. 'I like what you've done with it,' he replied. I was offered the job, and accepted it. It's been a great move for me, and definitely a step up the career ladder.

But all that aside, I'm surprised at the attitudes of some of the members here, particularly those like killkillakillyo, who insist on carrying out this ridiculous trolling ritual, even after I apologise. I had no idea the reception at this forum would be so closed minded, and conservative. It seems like there are some diamonds amongst the turds here. But attempting to ostracise a new member, high fiving each other and making forum love to each other is no way to build a strong online community. I hope I can have some positive input here.

I had no idea the reception at this forum would be so closed minded, and conservative. It seems like there are some diamonds amongst the turds here. But attempting to ostracise a new member, high fiving each other and making forum love to each other is no way to build a strong online community. I hope I can have some positive input here.

I'm positive I like these statements. There's some positivity.

Ignore the turds. The diamonds are why we're here.

I didn't catch the old reel/flame-igniter, but good to hear you've been working, and I like the current reel. Keep it up.