Sign in to follow this  
Fotli

Winter Dance Projection Mapping @ Kazakhstan

Hi there,

I would like to show the last Architectural Projection Mapping show I've done working at seeper. It was to introduce the Asian winter games held at city of Almaty. The event was during three consecutive days playing a different projection mapping show of 5 mins each day.

Alma01.jpg Alma02.jpg Alma03.jpg

Jordi Pages Motion Desing Portfolio

Any feedback would be more than welcome :)

cheers,

Jordi

Hi there,

I would like to show the last Architectural Projection Mapping show I've done working at seeper. It was to introduce the Asian winter games held at city of Almaty. The event was during three consecutive days playing a different projection mapping show of 5 mins each day.

cheers,

Jordi

Hey Jordi

First off, congratulations! That was a lot of work, and quite a bit of architecture to work with.

My feeling is that projection mapping should not serve as a gimmick or a way to perform certain tricks...For example the rotating chunks of columns keep happening for no specific reason...The building is not being revealed or modified, it just feels it is done "because you can" or to fill space..It feels like there should always be a thought process that takes the architecture of the building into account and is not done because the effect is cool, if that makes sense...

Hopefully you don't mind my slightly negative feedback...It feels like projection mapping is an art form in its infancy that is still starting to express its own rules, but to me the best examples of it are the ones where projection/architecture/design purpose work hand in hand.

Alex

Hi there,

cheers,

Jordi

Hey Jordi

First off, congratulations! That was a lot of work, and quite a bit of architecture to work with.

My feeling is that projection mapping should not serve as a gimmick or a way to perform certain tricks...For example the rotating chunks of columns keep happening for no specific reason...The building is not being revealed or modified, it just feels it is done "because you can" or to fill space..It feels like there should always be a thought process that takes the architecture of the building into account and is not done because the effect is cool, if that makes sense...

Hopefully you don't mind my slightly negative feedback...It feels like projection mapping is an art form in its infancy that is still starting to express its own rules, but to me the best examples of it are the ones where projection/architecture/design purpose work hand in hand.

Alex

very cool, love that stuff

one comment - I feel the footage of the projection event should just be a lock-off shot - not the jump/zoom/edit that you have. After all, the piece is already finished and being projected on to the building, and the edit is extremely distracting (the footage should simply document the work, not try to be something of it's own)

Hey Jordi

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for the comment, I already said I appreciate any feedback. You are right about the sweep of the colums that happens too many times, and the reason for that is our client brief, as they where looking for some innovation but at the same time they where interested on the common and cliche projection mapping techniques and those rotations of the colums are some of them.

We always try to explore and bring it to a new level but client brief + lack of time usually make it difficult to test or risck with new and unexplored techniques...

Thanks a lot for your comment Alex!

Jordi

very cool, love that stuff

one comment - I feel the footage of the projection event should just be a lock-off shot - not the jump/zoom/edit that you have. After all, the piece is already finished and being projected on to the building, and the edit is extremely distracting (the footage should simply document the work, not try to be something of it's own)

I agree that the edit could be less distracting, but a lock off shot of the whole thing could not be because there was three shows of more than 5 mins each, so the reason of the edit is to have a summary or trailer of the event, not the whole thing. Even a lock-off shot wouldn't make justice to it, if you want to fully appreciate it without being distracted the only way is to be at the event in person.

for some reason i am not impressed by this fad of projection mapping on buildings. it's just boring imho. yes, it does take some technical skill to do but the end product usually bores me. either way, congrats!

Cool thekinginyellow, is there any thing that would like to see on it or that you think would impress you? Could you be more specific on what is it that makes it so boring and how woud you make it more intense?

Thanks for the congrats!! :)

Cool thekinginyellow, is there any thing that would like to see on it or that you think would impress you? Could you be more specific on what is it that makes it so boring and how woud you make it more intense?

Thanks for the congrats!! :)

what i'm saying is that in general, any architectural projection mapping i have ever seen has just been a big meh. the lights go on and off, the columns move, bricks explode off, etc etc. i appreciate the technical aspect of the production but have never seen anything that anyone has ever done that has just wowed me and i doubt there ever could be. maybe there's something wrong with me.

Good work on the project. I did some work on Electronica and know how hard and time consuming it can be. I do agree about the edit though. If possible I would remove/reduce the amount of zoom in jump cuts. A simple dissolve would work for me. I watched the whole thing with the sound off as is my norm and the cuts are distracting.

Thats a mockup isn't it? Its too bright and too clean to be the projection, and I don't see any shadows of the columns, unless you used 1 projector, and then it wouldn't be that bright...

And the edit is far too crazy!

A couple of view point changes is fine, but all that zooming in is really off putting!

Ahh it says mockup in the about vimeo at the bottom, I'll watch I live one now...

Yeah the live one is much better!

I have some tools for 3d mapped playout if your interested? Softedging on to geometry, 3d mesh editing and matching...

Edited by catweasel

Thats a mockup isn't it? Its too bright and too clean to be the projection, and I don't see any shadows of the columns, unless you used 1 projector, and then it wouldn't be that bright...

And the edit is far too crazy!

A couple of view point changes is fine, but all that zooming in is really off putting!

Ahh it says mockup in the about vimeo at the bottom, I'll watch I live one now...

Yeah the live one is much better!

I have some tools for 3d mapped playout if your interested? Softedging on to geometry, 3d mesh editing and matching...

Hi there,

There is no mockup, the pictures are real shots of the actual projection and the video is footage from the event, If you film from where the projectors are you won't see any shadows on the colums.