Sign in to follow this  
JustinLawes

C4D Dynamics & Frame Rate

Hey folks,

I've got a pretty basic C4D project setup. It's just a cloner object in grid array duplicating cubes. Then there is an attractor that attracts all the cubes onto an invisible sphere. The attractor turns off and all the cubes fall.

I spent a lot of time getting the cubes to move exactly how I want them to and now I want to render this animation at a higher frame rate. It is currently at 24fps. The problem is when I boost the frame rate in the document settings, the dynamics act completely different.

The only reason I can see this happening is because I started the project in R11.5 and I am now using R12.

Basically, I just want to render the same exact animation at a higher frame rate. Any thoughts on why the dynamics would behave differently when I change the fps?

Thanks,

Justin

Hey folks,

I've got a pretty basic C4D project setup. It's just a cloner object in grid array duplicating cubes. Then there is an attractor that attracts all the cubes onto an invisible sphere. The attractor turns off and all the cubes fall.

I spent a lot of time getting the cubes to move exactly how I want them to and now I want to render this animation at a higher frame rate. It is currently at 24fps. The problem is when I boost the frame rate in the document settings, the dynamics act completely different.

The only reason I can see this happening is because I started the project in R11.5 and I am now using R12.

Basically, I just want to render the same exact animation at a higher frame rate. Any thoughts on why the dynamics would behave differently when I change the fps?

Thanks,

Justin

Hmm...I think I know what you want to do here, but I think it could be done easier by just adjusting the Dynamics timescale if you want your objects to move slower, like they would at a higher framerate.

Then again, I'm sort of new at this stuff so I could be completely wrong :)

Have you tried baking the cloner with a mograph cache tag, then adding a time track to your cloner? That gives a lot of temporal latitude (in theory) and removes some of the calculation overhead in your viewport.

Dan

EDIT: bah, too slowwwww...

Edited by dan_hin

Have you tried baking the cloner with a mograph cache tag, then adding a time track to your cloner? That gives a lot of temporal latitude (in theory) and removes some of the calculation overhead in your viewport.

Dan

EDIT: bah, too slowwwww...

I cached the cloner object, but when I change the frame rate nothing happens. How do I add a time track?

You can keyframe the 'offset' in mograph cache to stretch it temporally I think. Keyframe 0 at f0 then at f100 keyframe a lower value than 100.. I think that works.

This all seems like a pretty weird conversation, I think the lesson is set your fps first? Or did you do it for resource reasons?

You need to cache/bake it using the MoGraph Tag (not the DynamicTag Bake option) then control the cache time via userdata.

This is the simple xpresso setup.

All values are "time".

motimexpresso.jpg

I've posted a basic COFFEE setup earlier,

MoTimer R11.5+ , doing the same thing.

So you bake at normal frame rate (to get the expected action) then animate cache time.

The SteadyBAKE setup will give you loads of more options

should you like..see sign.

Cheers

Lennart