Sign in to follow this  
elhaq

Advice on object timing in motion pieces

Example, for a door to slam open how many seconds should that be? 1sec, 3sec?

If you want something to start to pul away slowly how many seconds should you animate before it get's to full speed. 2sec, 3sec?

Is there any standard for timing movements or is it all by trial and error, that's hell on render time isn' it, having to render overtime you wanted to test something?

I use cinema 4d, is there any short cuts to finding out how something will look, like less resolution or something?

Example, for a door to slam open how many seconds should that be? 1sec, 3sec?

For realistic motion - just watch and imitate the real world. Slamming a real door is much faster than typing in a question on an online forum...

Making sure you have a full length mirror is really helpful. Even if I'm doing something abstract I'll still try out some motions and timings just with my hands or something and see what looks good before messing around in software. A lot of times inspiring yourself from movements in nature or the real world can help even with abstract stuff, and with the old google you can find video reference for pretty much anything you can think of.

It also helps to learn about techniques for exagerated motion from traditional animation I highly recommend picking up "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams to learn about that kind of stuff.

For realistic motion - just watch and imitate the real world. Slamming a real door is much faster than typing in a question on an online forum...

True. It's not always as simple as it sound though it actually takes practice to really observe and break down the parts of a motion. I am always amazed at how many small details really good animators observe in any kind of motion or light.

Or you can take some martial arts classes and get some exercise out of it. while obtaining ideas of speed and timing through it. That's what I did. It worked to some degree. Take for instance punches. You can throw a quick jab in less than 3 frames. Maybe 2 frames if your Bruce Lee. In the 29.97 world I aim for 11 to 15 frames to complete a quick camera motion. It won't be smooth but it will get the job done on a crescendo.

Or you can take some martial arts classes and get some exercise out of it. while obtaining ideas of speed and timing through it. That's what I did. It worked to some degree. Take for instance punches. You can throw a quick jab in less than 3 frames. Maybe 2 frames if your Bruce Lee. In the 29.97 world I aim for 11 to 15 frames to complete a quick camera motion. It won't be smooth but it will get the job done on a crescendo.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I really appreciate that answer because I box and I understand this analogy completely.

A lot of times inspiring yourself from movements in nature or the real world can help even with abstract stuff, and with the old google you can find video reference for pretty much anything you can think of.

When watching a google video, how do I make the comparison from seconds to frames. I mean should I use 15 frames a second as a bench mark. Just doing it is probably the quickest way and using what looks good huh?

Sometimes you need finer control over where keyframes are than every 25th/30th second. You can work at x2 or x4 output frame rate for very fine control. Helps with very fast movements sometimes.