Sign in to follow this  
TeeRom

Mograph for a Newbie

Well, I've been interested in motion graphics for quite a while now. Seeing all its uses on Tv is really cool to me. It is potentially something I would pursue as a career in the future. I have a few questions for the people here.

What Kim of programs are mainly used in motion graphics? I've worked with AAE, C4D, and 3DS Max some, but a lot of commercial I saw in peoples reels had to have used something else for the animation.

What kind of effects are mainly worked with?

How difficult or how long does it take to create a cool looking commercial?

Probably strange sounding questions, but if you have an answer that would be great.

All three of the tools you mentioned get used quite a bit to create broadcast quality output. They are each quite potent and can do an awful lot. Most open people use a combination of software packages for any given project. Those you mentioned plus a variety of others.

But really it's more about the design than the tool. If you are interested in pursuing this as a career I would suggest focusing on learning the basics of design while you get comfortable with the software. That said, I'd be willing to bet that most people start with After Effects and then go from there. Video Co-Pilot is a great place to start. Just don't put anything you make there in any reel you ever make in the future!

Also you might want to spend some time learning Photoshop, a lot of the image manipulation basics can be learned there without the added complexity of animation.

All three of the tools you mentioned get used quite a bit to create broadcast quality output. They are each quite potent and can do an awful lot. Most open people use a combination of software packages for any given project. Those you mentioned plus a variety of others.

But really it's more about the design than the tool. If you are interested in pursuing this as a career I would suggest focusing on learning the basics of design while you get comfortable with the software. That said, I'd be willing to bet that most people start with After Effects and then go from there. Video Co-Pilot is a great place to start. Just don't put anything you make there in any reel you ever make in the future!

Also you might want to spend some time learning Photoshop, a lot of the image manipulation basics can be learned there without the added complexity of animation.

Thanks for the information. I've looked at Video Copilot before and followed some tutorials. I will probably get around to some other ones sooner or later.

I've also worked with Photoshop some, to where I know the basics and can do some good stuff with it.

I saw this reel on the site:

http://vimeo.com/24850834

Would those programs be used to make animations like that? Or other ones?

Edited by TeeRom

Hi Teerom. Your questions would be better asked on beginner forums like Creative Cow or Greyscale Gorilla. Most people here tend to use After Effects in combination with a 3D program, many prefer Cinema 4D, but it's definitely not the only choice.

I saw this reel on the site:

http://vimeo.com/24850834

Would those programs be used to make animations like that? Or other ones?

Yes, but truly as a beginner don't get caught up in software packages. Focus on fundamentals of design. It's a communications medium and if you want to go far with it you need to use the tools to make the message shine. That involves working from a solid foundation.