Sign in to follow this  
ThulsaDoom

AE Text Animation Question

Hey Guys,

I am trying to create a scrolling text effect. I have a long list of names. I want to move a rectangle through the list of names, cause the names to scale up 10% and change color. I want to keep the leading even as it does this or proportional. It seems like something basic and that you see everyday on the web. A mouse rolls over some type and it grows. I want to rig everything up with an expression slider or something. Basically having a few keyframes do all the work.

So I used the text animator wing menu tools and selection range for line of text, created another text animator to change the color. I am trying to pass the position of the range selector to a null so I can link the rectangle to the selections.

I am wondering if there is a why to use a null to control the line selection range(index instead of %)? Then I could parent the rectangle to the null and both the rectangle and text are all controlled by the null keyframes. What math / expression would I use to do something like this?

Any tips in the right direction would be awesome!

What math / expression would I use to do something like this?

cLine=thisComp.layer("Null").transform.position[0];
cHeight=thisComp.height;
cStart=0;  //start percent
cEnd=100; //end percent

linear(cLine,0, cHeight, cStart, cEnd)

You will probably need to add some division code and some rounding to get clean line values, but this will depend on the font used and its size.

Mylenium