Sign in to follow this  
Keon

Freeze cloned soft bodies position after simulation has run?

I have a soft body simulation where rings stack within a container and then the rings grow tubes/socks from the top. For what I'm trying to achieve, the rings need to settle, then I need to freeze their position and remove the container. I've used mass maps to freeze certain parts of a soft body, and that works great when I freeze the position from frame 0, but I can't find a way to animate the mass maps after the simulation has run. The mass maps are key-able, so I've tried switching from a completely lax map to one with rigid mass (with points mapped to 0, meaning they should have a fixed position), but the cloned object still move. This may be hard to understand, so here's a link to my test scene (R13) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/176680/Freeze%20Clones%20Test.c4d . The final ring container isn't a box shape but is conical. Any help or direction is appreciated.

You're gonna need one of them baking plug-ins like SteadyBake or Nitrobake....

I have Nitrobake (wicked awesome btw). I need the clones to freeze so that I can run another soft body simulation at their fixed position. I've sort of found a work around by setting the gravity to zero, turning off all effectors, then setting the cloner objects initial state with the mass map in place. It's kinda of a jenky since I'll probably need to break the scene out into several different files, but I think this will work.

Yeah, bake out the frame sequence to the start frame of the growing tubes. Take the last frame's .c4d scene file and reimport those three meshes and drop em into fracture objects (and make them dynamic if need be) so you can apply both forces and dynamics to them. Do the growing animation on these. bada bing