Sign in to follow this  
zeperez

Reel 2008-2012

Hey there. You've got some good shots in there, but the reel itself is failing. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to make an edit better than the one you have now. Here's how:

1- If you're going to have an animated intro, don't let it come to a screeching halt when your name appears. That's dead air. There should be no dead air in a reel.

2- Remove all of the footage to which you've applied the kaleidoscopic mirroring effect. If that stuff isn't strong enough to live in the reel without some gimmicky effect applied to it, then it shouldn't be in the reel.

3- Find your favorite shots in the reel. Take a few of them and make them the first shots following your intro. Take the rest and make them your final shots. If you don't have enough great material to fill in the middle, then your reel is too long.

4- Your reel is too long. :) Don't be afraid to show a :45 or 1:00 reel. If you have 45 seconds of great stuff, then show 45 seconds. Don't start showing lousy stuff to suggest that you've done a lot of stuff. Don't ever show anything but your best stuff.

There are well-made shots in your reel, but you've buried them in the middle. Most viewers have already formed their opinion of your work in the first few seconds. They may not even make it to the middle of the montage if you haven't sold them on your skills by then. So make a strong impression as fast as possible, keep building on that impression with occasional surprises, and then finish strong. We can talk about the finer points of editing, shot choice, pacing and whatnot, but this is really fundamental and will give your reel the biggest boost.

Edited by Binky

Hey, thank you very much! Your criticisms helped me alot. I will use all of them in my next reel. I will end up next December. it's hard for me to leave some work outside the reel. =.] But you're absolutely right about the time of reel. It's too long, and I have to edit better this. I made those videos mirrored, because they're in SD and the reel is HD. I like them and I didn't found another way to organize them. But ok, maybe is time of delete some vídeos. One more time: thank you! (sorry about any english wrong)

No problem, Jose, my Portuguese is pretty lousy.

Almost everyone has a hard time cutting a reel for the exact same reasons you have a hard time. It's called being precious with your own work. You spent a lot of time on that work. You're proud of that work. You may not be entirely sure that other people will love that work, but you don't want to simply throw it away. That's fine. Put it in a folder and look at it when you want to. Show it to your parents. Shower with it.

But your reel has specific needs. It needs to tell people what you're capable of right now, and what you want to be doing in the future. It needs to show them that you're a bad motherfucker, too. When you see an attractive girl, and you walk up to her, you're not going to immediately show her a picture of you with braces, or the light armpit stain on your tshirt, or show her the B- you got on that essay you wrote in 10th grade. You're not going to say "hi, I'm Jose and I'm feeling a little gassy, but it'll be alright" or "Hey I saw you from way over there and you're totally out of my league, but do you want to watch me roller skate for a minute? I haven't practiced in a while." No, that would be weird, and it would also mean that the first and only thing she knew about you would be that you're gassy, awkward, and bad at skating. You'd do a LOT better to catch her looking at you, hold her gaze, and smile. She'll invent the rest, and it won't include flatulence.

Your reel is your first impression. You have to make that impression be one of attraction, and it can't be marred by stuff from the past that doesn't represent how fully you awesome are in this present moment. If you look fucking awesome in your tailored suit, and your hair is perfect, and your breath smells good, you don't want to want to finish the outfit with your high school sneakers. That's not you anymore, but it makes you look like a dildo anyway. So if that's a good enough reason to go back to your reel right now and start collecting just your best stuff to showcase, so be it. Start strong. End strong. Be strong.

Our work reflects our life style, our personality. We become transparent through it. And your words are talking about this. Perhaps unintentionally. Maybe not. However, you are absolutely right in your words. And many things began to change today. Thank you very much.