Sign in to follow this  
Guest André Leroux

Combustion 3, something to talk about

Guest André Leroux

Hi everyone

Does anyone want to talk about Combustion 3. I know that there are allot more of AE users out there, but with the new release of Combustion 3, that just might change. New editing features, expressions, brush controls & not to mention Twixtor included. Trapcode has announced that all their plugs will be available for the new version. So what does this mean? Discreet has finally got a great product at a competitive price. I have both & I must admit that combustion seems to work for me, but that's my point of view.

Everyone has their own tool to work with & that's fine. I'm not here to put AE down or any other software for that matter. With all of this said, will we see more post production firms using combustion. I hope so & counting on it.

My two cents

André

Guest firemind

Actually Twixtor isn't included, but Re:flex is. Warping pixels, rather than warping time :wink:

It's a good move tho, ppl really demanded either timestretching or warping to be included in this version, and by adding Re:flex they took some heated criticism away.

I must say seeing the press releases the upgrade sounded very lackluster, having seen some demo movies and seen it in action a bit, I feel a bit better about it. Expressions are certainly handy (but makes me remember how bad I am at coding) and the custom brushes can be really handy when used with animated shapes.

I've still yet to see how handy the edit feature will turn out, and sadly the built in illusion wasn't upgraded to 3.0.

While the release is OK, the huge gap that once existed between AE and C* is now basically gone, and AE is even ahead again with some things. I hope C4 widens the gap in a positive manner again :-)

Guest yogert909

I haven't played around with Combustion 3 yet but as for 2, you can't beat Combustion's particle effects. I just can't get used to the combustion GUI so I work with AE. Not that AE's is genius. Will there ever be a compositor with an intelligent interface?

Guest Sao_Bento

It looks pretty cool - I get all dizzy everytime I see the realtime feedback from adjusting the curves in the color corrector or the keyer.

My one hesitation in dealing with Discreet is their past (and present) reputation. It's pretty hard to fully trust companies who have screwed their customers in the past. Being a mac user makes it even harder. For instance Media 100, Digital Voodoo, Digidesign, Quantel, Avid, etc. have all done things I consider to be very underhanded to their own customers - forcing you to buy something from them, then charging you 4X the fair price or whatever. All these companies are scrambling to get back in the game because someone came along and took their little kingdoms away. I imagine they will all die slow painful deaths.

I've met alot of the AE team and a lot of the plug-in developers, and I get a pretty good feeling from them. Too bad Adobe is starting to act stupid, who knows what the future holds. In the mean time I try to do business with companies who I trust, and who are genuinely interested in making what their customers need. Among those I consider honorable are Apple, Maxon, Trapcode, Profound Effects, Digital Anarchy, Promax, and Zaxwerks.

Guest vuzz

I find Combstion just ok, seems so many of us want a one app that does it all. but no one really does. C* is great for color grading tracking and keying but if you have a big project or if you are working with a lot of Ilustrator and Photoshop files I find it easy to get lost. I hate the way C* handels Illustrator files.

AE six on the other hand is just so damm good, one really hot tracker, keylight, and the best timeline going. also easy to manage projects of any size.

As for combustion particles they are very cool, have that in AE and wow. By the way Trapcode is working on a particle plugin for After Effects, email them any requests or ideas.

All that said, I look forward to C3 since I did buy C2 and I'm on a Mac, the price is very good.

V

Guest soulmobile

Never used combustion, but a friend of mine has been using version 1 for a couple of years, and is now gonna get v3.

What basically emerged is that C* v1 needs powerful machines to run properly, while I was able to work on (simple) projects with AE on my old computer with only 128 RAM. Infact previewing timeline in low quality is really fast, while previewing in C* v1 meant a lot of sigarettes and coffee...

Color correction and keying was better in combustion, but I'm gonna see what's up on AE version 6 in a few days.

Combustion seemed better in scaling images, managing cubic interpolation the best way.

Anyway this is history...

I don't actually know what happens with C*v3 VS. AEv6, but I'm gonna find out soon... the best is always what you are confortable with and used to, tho...