Sign in to follow this  
arithmerock

Freelancing: bad to use a DBA on your portfolio site?

Hi all. I'm curious to hear whether people think it's a bad thing to use a fictitious name on your portfolio site if you're an individual freelancer. In the past, I had always thought it was not only kind of cheesy to brand yourself as a studio if you're just one person looking to do in-house work, but it also makes you look like "the competition."

Recently, though, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm doing a lot of work from home for remote clients, and for these projects I can see how using my DBA would make me look more professional. Also, my DBA includes my last name, so I'm still identifying myself.

Just don't want to turn off the studios I want to work for in-house.

Thoughts?

I say its a good thing. There are a lot of varying opinions on this but being incorporated / having dba does mean that your clients never will have to prove that your not an employee. The IRS is known to question companies about large 1099 reports for individuals.

Its never been a problem for me or my clients. I have an LLC with two other DBAs under that LLC.

Also, one you are set up, be sure the first thing you do is go to the bank and get a separate business account.

There is no need to advertise yourself as a company to shops though. Reserve that for more direct-to-end-client jobs. Introduce yourself as your personal name but invoice them as the company name. Always check to see how they handle their accounts payable though and figure out whats best for both parties. Some rare places pay freelancers promptly but b2b debts quarterly.

Edited by AromaKat

Well, what I'm really wondering is whether I should fully brand myself as [business name] on my site. I already invoice clients and fill out paperwork using my DBA, and I have a business bank account, but I'm wondering if I should stop using my real name on my portfolio altogether.

I guess, like you're saying, if I do use my business name in my branding, that doesn't prevent me from being able to introduce myself as an individual when I apply for work.

I don't think it can hurt to brand yourself as long as it doesn't come off cocky or over the top. There are lot's of John Smith's out there in the world anything you can do to create a memorable name and presence is a leg up you have on the competition.

or brand yourself as a company, but in the about section, make it clear that you are just a guy.

i started branding myself as a studio becauses no one can spell my name. And because when i was 15 it sounded really cool :D Now it just kinda stuck.

I think if you do good work you can brand yourself as a mermaid tycoon if you really want to. In the end the client wants your work.

You shouldnt worry about looking like the competition, studios always hire other studios to do work. It just depends on required skills.