Sign in to follow this  
KushDesign

Metaball reflection problem

I hardly use the metaball object, but I was messing around with it today and noticed the reflections look terrible. No matter what settings I changed, it always looked low-res. I even brought other people in to take a look and get feedback, but they had no idea what the problem was. Is this a known problem with the metaball? I added a primitive sphere to the scene and rendered it with the same material, but the reflection is terrible only on the metaball object. I'll upload the scene and/or frame render if I can figure out how to.

I have had the same issue and could not come up with a solution. I got the reflection to look good from a distance but on close up shots with reflections I always see low res type reflections. I have tried increasing the subdivisions, and anti-aliasing with no luck. Would be nice if someone has a solution for this or could shed some light on the issue

7fa8b96dfd3c5d1a934c94880e95d9c18a4eec3609e7864e1ba4addf87c8ba966g.jpg

If you think the reflections are better than the ones you are getting download the project file and see what I did with it , its basically a combination of mesing with the settings of the metaball (exponential falloff) , phong tag and throwing it into a Hyper NURBS although I 'm not very happy with the phong situation ... anyway download link : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?banofn7nn0bbh7c

A bit convoluted, but You can work

with the SmoothDeformer on the Polygonized MetaBall.

For an animation you would need to work it on a fileseries,

batch processing it.

The issue that one can't get around is that the Meta Object

generates new points each frame, so a "basic" flickering will

always be there.

What the Smooth Deformer helps with is to space the points

so the very sharp edges (causing hard normals shift between polygons)

are much less disturbing.

smoothmeta.jpg