Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

Cell animation & Photoshop Brushes

Ever since Buck's Goodbooks piece and traditional animation in general has been picking up steam I have been meaning to get back to basics with some cell animations. I have been using Photoshop and with the video layer updates in 5.5+ it is a great workflow. Anyways, I am looking for a good brush set that can mimic traditional inking similar to a micron pen.

If anyone has any recommendations on a brush set (preferably free) it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to open up a discussion about cell animation in general please post. I haven't done traditional since college using pencil, paper and a lunch box so I'd like to hear from others who have been picking it up as well.

Edited by joedonaldson

has anyone tried doing cel animation + photoshop on a wacom? I feel its pretty difficult to get accurate lines using a wacom. I'm assuming this is where cintiqs really come in handy? Or is there another technique?

Using a wacom doesnt yield the smoothest lines, but it gives a certain sloppy look. If thats that you're going for then rad. I did it for a project once that was supposed to look like a kid was drawn on a white board. I think it worked out in that situation.

If cell animation is your thing and you want to go the digital route a Cintiq is worth every penny. When I first started messing around with it I had so much trouble with my lines when using an intuous. One inch on the tablet = 2 inches on screen and the fact that you cant watch your hand/pen tip but have to watch the screen is very frustrating. We have a Cintiq at work that I started using and it is amazing. Takes a lot of the frustration out and has a much stronger connection to just actually drawing.

Edited by joedonaldson