Sign in to follow this  
auze1

James isaaks new site and 2012 reel

James, you are a really strong animator. Plenty of room for improvement, but five years out you've got some excellent work in your collection.

Seems to me like you enjoy working with abstract imagery more than literal stuff, like characters. That's totally fine, although you might consider focusing more on character animation principles just so that you can eventually bring even more charisma and personality to the abstract stuff. That's not the only way to do it, but it's one way. There's plenty that an audience can glean from the way that an object moves and behaves, and imbuing abstract objects with significant behaviors gives the audience more insight, and helps heighten the interest. For example, the 1800 Tequila bottle looks like it was tossed on screen, with a bit of settling in the first second, which is great. It creates a bit of attitude. You could also consider all kinds of subtle differences in the way that it comes to a stop, which could further define that attitude. There's also the way that the type wipes on with the icy steam stuff. It's nice, and yet there's a lot of room for making that effect more charismatic.

As a note on your reel, there's a lot of good kinetic movement connecting one shot to the next, so that many of the shots seem to sit well next to each other. There does, however, seem to be an overall disconnect between the pace of your work and the track that you're trying to cut to. Your work seems to exist at a significantly higher energy level than the song, and the juxtaposition isn't working all that well. It's not a killer, but I think you could easily find a better complement to the pace of your animation.

Fantastic reel along with a song I love... not sure why Binky is so picky but you have a great reel here!

Were you under the impression that James has developed notably good animation skills by not being picky? By not attending to the details and the subtle nuances? Maybe he got here by "meh, it's good enough"? "That'll do" satisfies him? Do you think he's reached the top of his game? There's no more perfect out there to attain?

These are rhetorical questions. :)

Fantastic reel along with a song I love... not sure why Binky is so picky but you have a great reel here!

Learn the difference between 'picky' and intelligent criticism. It's really important.

Edited by destro

Thanks for the feedback.

I have found that Reel music selection just tends to be a matter of prefernce. The Intention was to have fast paced animation and cuts to a slow feeling track. I felt it flowed pretty well together. yeah, it might be easier to just find a faster tempo song, but i like the mood this track inparts. anyone else feel the juxtaposition isn't working??

I like the juxtaposition, it's a nice change from super fast paced rock or dance EDM, but I think it falls a bit flat within the allotted time. There are vocals, but the rest of the track just feels like a loop until around 1:09. If you could have that change (and others) come in sooner, it would help give a sense of progression and change while still achieving your desired effect.

Dope reel by the way.