Sign in to follow this  
lanhan

Anyone knows about IATSE?

Saw on a job post saying one of the requirement is to have IATSE union affiliation.

I did some research and I understand that I need to be an member of the union to apply for the job, but...can a normal person join the union?

Or it might be a job that I will have to become a member once I am hired? Anybody is a member or know anything about it?

Lan

IATSE covers a lot. Within in it are all the various unions for all sorts of positions (art department, camera assistants, assistant editors, etc.). As far as I understand there is no union of motion graphics artist so I assume you were looking at an Assistant editor or editor position. For those you have to clock in a certain amount of days doing that job to be able to join the union. Basically you have to find a bunch of non union jobs, work, get enough days there, then you can joing the union and work on union jobs. Its a real pain in the ass but you get killer benefits once you're in.

As far as I understand there is no union of motion graphics artist so I assume you were looking at an Assistant editor or editor position.

IATSE covers graphic artists in broadcast.

I was in it back when I worked at a network. I wasn't IATSE affiliated when asked to join (I didn't apply - they just asked me to come in and start working), so my options were to either pay into it up front ($4,500), or over the course of 3 or 4 months by having it automatically deducted from my checks. Apply even if you don't have it yet. They will work it out if they want you bad enough. They might even offer to pay for it, but don't let them use it as leverage to lower your rate too much.

Weird thing about IATSE - technically there is no such thing as full time. Everything is supposed to be short-term bookings. Don't let that scare you though. Its a pain in the ass for employers to keep trying to get IATSE freelancers, so everything is pretty much full-time.

Hello,

I'm the Organizer for IATSE Local 839 in Los Angeles. We are The Animation Guild. We represent animation artists, animation writers and visual effects artists in the Southern California area. http://animationguild.org/

Typically, as explained, taking a job with an employer who has a contract with the IATSE means you'll become a member. The language in most of the contracts states that as long as you're employed with someone who has a contract, you have to be a member when working for them. I've heard that some employers with IATSE contracts prefer hiring union members because of an unwillingness to explain the new member process and the dues and initiation fee that comes with that. That is just hearsay though, and not substantiated.

If you are willing to share what position and with which employer you're considering, I could try to find out the specifics for you. Feel free to shoot me an email if you prefer to keep it private.

Edited by SteveKap