Sign in to follow this  
mshadis

Thinking Particles - Getting Good Turbulence

So I've got a project that is using a lot of TP, I've never used them this extensively before so I'm learning as I go. Basically I need to get the same kind of turbulence that you can get in Particular or when using the Random Effector in Mograph. In TP it seems that the only way to generate Turbulence is to use the Wind node, which while it does makes things turbulent has a tendency to spread particles out rather than keeping them more or less together (even with wind shut off entirely).

The other half to this issue is that I need to wrangle the particles along a path while their position is affected by turbulence. Further when I use the Follow Spline preset it basically shuts out the wind effects entirely.

In a perfect world I would make a cylinder without caps that the particles flow through. The cylinder is bent into the shape I need and its points are undulating from a Random Effector's noise. The particles that flow through it follow the shape of the cylinder and roil and undulate along with it. Doesn't have to be executed this way at all but that's the basic idea.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tried out the lite version for a bit and checked some videos, X Particle looks interesting and it's pretty cheap. Turbulence is the same a TP though, in the XP manual it says that it can use mograph 'modifiers'. Not exactly sure what the means, does it mean effectors? If so that would killer, how does that work though? I can't figure it and the manual doesn't say. Only played with it for a bit, I'll keep trying.

Ok - figured it out. In order to be able to use the X Particles with Mograph Effectors, X Particles has to be generating geometry. So you need to use the Generator object. Further, in order to use Mograph Effectors you need to use them as deformers nested in a null, it seems that the mode makes little difference but maybe there is some. Regular deformers work great this way too.

This is awesome! Thanks stoiqa!

PWind with turbulence is usially the best choice, low strength and high turbulence will give a nice effect.

If you are willing to dive a bit into vector math you can use the noise node to create an own turbulence effect by reading the particles velocity and modifying it. If you have a bit of knowledge with Python or COFFEE you can create your own noises etc.