Sign in to follow this  
jaypeeare

"The Goon" Movie... let's KICKSTART this sucker!!!

Pledge for this sh*%t right now! I absolutely love Fincher & Miller! I'm sure you do too, well if not Miller I'm sure Fincher.

Pretty interesting how a lot of projects are being put on to Kickstarter, even huge studios projects like we have here with Blur studios.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker

It looks really good, but am I just being very cynical when I think:

David Fincher is a world famous director worth at least tens of millions of dollars, if they really can't get studios to back it and he REALLY wants it to get made then I think asking fans to back the project is a little tight-fisted (pledge $10,000 dollars and get LUNCH.. p.s. pay for your own travel)

Especially when the stated goal is not to make it available online, but to get Hollywood to buy into it.. Presumably if it gets to that stage and is released profit will not exactly be given back to Kickstarters. Strikes me as a cynical way of making a film without taking any risk, but reaping the benefits should it be successful..

David Fincher is a world famous director worth at least tens of millions of dollars, if they really can't get studios to back it and he REALLY wants it to get made then I think asking fans to back the project is a little tight-fisted (pledge $10,000 dollars and get LUNCH.. p.s. pay for your own travel)

Especially when the stated goal is not to make it available online, but to get Hollywood to buy into it.. Presumably if it gets to that stage and is released profit will not exactly be given back to Kickstarters. Strikes me as a cynical way of making a film without taking any risk, but reaping the benefits should it be successful..

Yeah seriously seems downright greedy to me. I'll donate to get an indy film off the ground, but something like this with big names and big dollars behind it, I dunno. I mean didn't Coppola put up his own money to do Appocalypse Now, Fincher can surely dig up 400 grand if he really wanted to do this. If I was going to help them kickstart this I'd want points on the package. There should be a certain level where you are a micro-investor in the film and get a percentage (however small) of the profits.

You make a very valid point that I failed to realized. Guess I got too wrapped up in just getting too excited seeing Fincher & Miller working together on a full length movie. But you can't forget that the 1% is suffering too! Haha.

As much as I agree with yah on that James I'm still backing the project. Wanna see this movie made!

It is an interesting debate that goes beyond just this title, or even crowd funding for entertainment altogether. I'm sure we will start seeing more and more entities that we would think fronts the money for such things taking this approach. Everyone is still trying to figure out what exactly would be considered as exploitation of crowd funding. What if Nike wants to come out with a new shoe, but makes fans pay for the production run up front to minimize risk of it being a dud product?

I can't help but notice how no amount of money equals any type of shared profit deal. I guess it all boils down to whether or not you feel those who would end up reaping the rewards if successful are just passing the financial risk along to fans, or if fans even care either way.

Edited by AromaKat