Sign in to follow this  
ianfreeze

Aaton Penelope Delta

Seems like a really cool camera, even though it is an Aaton...

Man, I shot my feature film on an Aaton LTR and I still have a crazy soft spot in my heart for that company. There is something about that wooden grip. it's been 14 years and I can still almost feel it in my hand while hitting the run switch.

From what I remember they were very cool cameras, the only thing that bugged me was the magnetic wheel that drove the mags. Neat idea that worked most of the time (but not all the time). This however, looks like they went ALL in and I hope people give it a chance. Ive been downloading some of those test clips for the last 7 hours to play around in resolve and see how they hold up.

Funny. I downloaded 2 clips as well to stick in Resolve. One of them JUST finished, waiting on the second.

My beef on that LTR was that the contacts to the motor stuck out of the side, the side your neck is on. So when I would sweat, I would feel a low grade shock on my skin while shooting.

regarding Alexa/Raw:

I have to say, since I do TV commercials and not features, even if they gave my Alexa the ability to record onboard RAW at it's full resolution tomorrow, I wouldn't engage it. Shooting 1080 ProRes is perfect for what I do. When film was transferred off a Spirit, it went through a 12 bit 4444 pipe in log space to the DaVinci 2k. It's not like you ever colored film off the neg directly. The ProRes workflow just skips to the part that you would color off of anyways and that's fine with me. I never once in the 12 years I shot 35mm did we fuck up so bad we had to go back to the neg to fix something. So in a modern camera where I expose correctly in the first place and aherm, the cam company gets their color science right BEFORE they released their camera, ProRes is perfect.

ha! color science.

yeah, if their "edit ready" proxies happened to be ProRes 4444 that would be rad. Though I had started to think that CCD was basically dead all together (save for eng/doc cameras). I assumed we'd see a global shutter CMOS before this. Getting rid of rolling shutter seems like that last hurdle for getting digital past film.