Sign in to follow this  
Shpigford

Difference In Render Times Between Processors

I'm looking at buying a new Mac Pro.

I plan on maxing out the memory, but not sure if the CPU upgrade is worth the additional $2400.

Here is what's currently available (that I'm considering).

* Two 2.40GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors (12 cores) [bASELINE]

* Two 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor (12 cores) [Add $1,200.00]

* Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (12 cores) [Add $2,400.00

What this really comes down to is render times with C4D and After Effects...so is there a way to get an idea how much faster that 3.06GHz processor would be?

For example: If the baseline renders something in 30 seconds, the 3.06Ghz process could render it in 10 seconds.

That's the kind of comparison I'm looking for. Then I can get a better idea of forking over an additional $2400 is worth it.

Edited by Shpigford

Wait to buy that mac pro, if you can. Its either going to update in the next quarter or die forever.

I'm not so convinced it will happen "next quarter." I've heard "sometime in 2013" which could literally be a year from now, and I can't wait that long.I'm on an iMac right now, so really any Mac Pro will be a major step up for me.

The best-case scenario is that the 3.06GHz processor is going to process something in 2.40/3.06 (about 80%) of the time compared with the 2.40GHz processor, and that's if the CPU is the bottleneck for that specific item being rendered.

Is a savings of (at best) an hour out of a five-hour render worth $2,400 extra dollars to you over the lifetime of the computer? If so, then it's worth getting the fastest CPU.

If you have that kind of money to spend, make sure that you've also got at least two fast drives and lots of RAM, too. It is so terribly often the case that people spend all of their budget on great CPUs and GPUs and leave RAM and disk drives as the bottlenecks.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

If it's rendering speed you want build a mini render farm you'll get a 6 nodes for that baseline price. The only problem is after effect which kind sucks regarding farm rendering.

Yeah for rendering, BYO PCs is the way to go. I just built 3 i7 Hyper Threaded Quad cores overclocked to 4.5 GHz and 16 gigs of ram for 2400 and each of their cinebench scores are around 11 (where as my mac pro 12 core 2.66 Ghz is about 14.5

Save the money

Shpigford if may i give you my advise it would be buy 4 pc for that amount of money, amd 8 cores, 32gb of ram since i didn't have your budget i put a 2gb nvidia 640, 120ssd and 1tb hdd, i did have others at home so for that plus case powersupply and dvdburner wak around 900 usd in tiger, if you buy at least a better graphics card and more ssd instead of hdd you will be flying really great, top put you and example i did a wedding 1080p graded a few stabilization was done and the graphics i import the sequences from AE into PPro, the 43 minutes wedd did the render in 15 minutes so it was really nice to see those times

I'm not so convinced it will happen "next quarter." I've heard "sometime in 2013" which could literally be a year from now, and I can't wait that long.I'm on an iMac right now, so really any Mac Pro will be a major step up for me.

Wouldn't that new 27 Imac that's coming next month bee a good alternative?

stay away from the AMD processors IMO if you are going to render C4D, the benchmarks for cinebench are not even close

I remember hearing a long time ago mixing Intel and AMD can render very slight differences on certain operations (maybe particles?). Dunno if that's still the case or if it was just an urban legend. Going full render farm for just rendering would give better bang for buck but it also depends if Shpigford needs a faster workstation to actually do the work since that's where we spend most of the time. If the new Mac Pros have a 2x ten core (or even 12 core!) Xeon chip (http://www.engadget....e5-2600-v2-cpu/) then it will be a beast. I ended up building an i7 hackintosh as a stopgap until then. If Apple drops the ball then I'll reassess when the time comes.

Edit: Noticed he wanted rendering for both C4D and AE. We haven't had cross platform issues in C4D and Maya but AE can be problematic. There are big gamma shifts if your source footage is encoded in certain codecs like Prores or PJPEG. Also doing a difference blend mode comparing certain plugins on Mac vs. PC there can be a slight shift as well. Not big enough to stand out too much visually but it's there when you look at the numbers.

Edited by superegophobia